HTPC is dead!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
HARRINGT0N

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC is dead!

Post by HARRINGT0N » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:59 pm

While watching football last Sunday, my HTPC shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I assumed the power supply died, so I bought a new one. After connecting everything back up, it still will not turn on. I built this myself 2 years ago but it is the first time I had ever done it, so I'm not a pro. I'm dying for some help to figure out what went wrong. Please be kind.Image
o|||||||o

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Well..
You replaced the PSU and it still wont turn on. (You did flip the power switch on the back of the PSU to ON I'm sure correct?)
That unfortunately isn't a good sign.. did you inspect the mainboard thoroughly? Any burnt up chips or places the mainboard looks like it got hot? The place mine burned up you couldn't see without removing a lot of clutter (wires and CPU cooler) before I could see it.
It could be your old PSU went and shorted something on the motherboard, Processor or both. I recently had a EVGA board burn up a chip on me in my own HTPC. Filled my living room with smoke.. WAF = Panic mode.. I got a call at work and I made her unplug everything until I got home.

If you have a new PSU and it still wont turn on I would pull the mainboard and inspect it carefully. Look for any area that looks like it got hot or burned up. You may end up buying a new board and or CPU and or RAM and start from scratch if you can't narrow down the culprit.
I had to replace the Mainboard and CPU in mine. When mine went it took out both the Board and CPU.. :(

I live in MA as well.. if you need help let me know.
newfiend~

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53 pm

Also, disconnect everything from the motherboard except the power cables, and try to turn it on. If it doesn't power on, he's dead Jim.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

HARRINGT0N

Post by HARRINGT0N » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 am

I got it guys. I tried unplugging everything and it turned on. You'll never guess. When I reconnected the new power supply I foolishly plugged in one extra cable to my mother board for LED's. I thought it was for the case LED's. It was not. Disconnected that, hooked everything else back up and I was good to go. I really appreciate your quick responses though. I was panicking.
o|||||||o

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 pm

HARRINGT0N wrote:I got it guys. I tried unplugging everything and it turned on. You'll never guess. When I reconnected the new power supply I foolishly plugged in one extra cable to my mother board for LED's. I thought it was for the case LED's. It was not. Disconnected that, hooked everything else back up and I was good to go. I really appreciate your quick responses though. I was panicking.

yeh when you dont have it you wonder what on earth you will do in future :P