Remotes, yay!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Sharks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remotes, yay!

Post by Sharks » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am

Hello, I've dug through most of the Remote Control topics and haven't find anything to my liking or price range and or with the capability I want so I'm hoping you guys can help me decide on one.

I'm hopefully looking for universal remote that will give me flashback/"last" channel capabilities with WMC. I will also need the ability to turn on these devices and have volume control. The devices are:
Vizio XVT3D474SV
Samsung HTD6500W
Media Center PC

I currently have:
Ortek VRC-1100
Centon My Media Center
HTC M8 with an IR Blaster.

I'm also open to using one of the above to achieve the same capability but haven't discovered a way to do so on my own.

I've seen this model: Gyration GYR3101US remote posted and it seems like it would give me the capability I want but is currently being sold for $189.99, not really in budget.

Thank you guys for your time and insight.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:02 pm

When watching live TV in WMC, the OK button at the center of the arrow pad on an MCE remote is your last channel switch.

I hunted around for a remote for a long time, and bought plenty to try... I am very happy with the URC WR7, which controls everything just right for me (WMC tasks and different components), full programmable with macros, and is completely backlit. Too bad they aren't made any more, as for about $23, they were a great deal too. Have three, and keep my eye out for a deal on another as a backup.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:38 pm

There used to be more options of programmable universal remotes. I had several generations of Pronto remotes - which provided a lot of flexibility in customizing the remote to support multiple devices - in multiple locations (I'm still using one of their last models that communicates via WiFi).

Today, the primary choice is Logitech's Harmony remote line. Their remotes have pretty decent support for many devices - and you can also use them to control the new home automation devices (thermostats, lighting, electric outlets, door locks, ...). Unfortunately, they don't have the flexibility of the Pronto remotes - you have relatively limited support of controlling specific command sequences because the Harmony software tries to automate as much of the process as possible - which works reasonably well most, but not all, of the time.

URC (Universal Remote Control) is the other major choice - they offer several remotes - but they've evidently decided to limit programming their devices to installers - which may limit their usefulness to end users.

There is a trend to use smart phones and tablets as remote controls. While that provides a lot of flexibility with the device touchscreens - from a usability standpoint, they aren't as easy to use - because for frequently used features (like play, pause, skip forward/backward, channel up/down, volume up/down, guide, ...) it's much better to have a hard button - that you can quickly find on the remote and use without having to keep shifting between looking at the TV and remote screens.

I'm using a Harmony 900 currently for our home theater - and will likely upgrade to one of their new Ultimate Home remotes at some point...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Any JP1 remote will do this. The OARUSB04G, INT-422 and Nevo C2 are all around $20 and are far more capable than the WR7 or any MCE remote. They are also PC programmable like Harmony and do Activity macros, among other things.

For Last channel, simply map the OK command to the Last button.

EDIT: I just bought several of the OARs here myself for $6 each: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewt ... 087#120087

All that being said, any "universal" remote is generally programmable, so you can make any one do pretty much whatever you want (aside from macros) as long as it can learn. I also have several $3 JP1 remotes running some of my extenders quite nicely, including every possible function, activity macros and control of my TV, AVR, etc.

My personal favorite is the Nevo since it has a color screen for favorite channel logos, additional functions and activities. It's also 18 device and a real bargain at $18. But it is a bit bulky and eats batteries. So make sure you budget for some rechargeables. The Inteset is also fantastic. The OAR is only 4 device but has some nice advantages in terms of build quality and styling.
Last edited by mdavej on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:56 pm

I think these are the best for a good price:
http://shop.inteset.com/inteset_4-in-1_ ... te_int-422

They are programmable on their own, but also JP1 compatible if you really want to go nuts with it.

Edit....posted at same time as mdavej

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:45 am

I love my gyration remote. It stops working every few years, so I buy a new one, but if you set up Ebay to track the postings, I have usually been able to find one posted for $50 from time to time. I don't see one at the moment. Although, I have the compatible reciever already, so I just buy the new remote.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I still use Pronto remotes, out of most options out there, I have not seen ANYTHING as flexible and customizable as a Pronto. You can create your own theme on the remote, your own pages, unlimited macros, really crazy what can be done. If it's available on another remote, or an option on remote central, you can import them into this program.

For example (on my TSU7500 I have now), it comes up with a simple menu (all color graphics full touch screen), hit the power button, This will turn on the TV and the Av Receiver (only the ON commands so if they were on, they will stay on). When I hit Media Center (I have 4 other sources), the Macro will select HDMI 1 on my 4K TV, change the A/V receiver to Media Center, then the remote will go to my custom Windows Media Center page, with all the controls for Media Center in a Media Center theme created by myself. Hit the home button and start all over.

Only problem is, you need to program it completely by yourself, You want the graphics, you need to find and add them yourself, or pick from hundreds of other ones that you customize yourself. it comes with (or can be downloaded with PC software to do this.

I just upgraded to a TSU9600 about a month ago, I just got to start programming it, maybe next week...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

JWA

Post by JWA » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 am

3rob3 wrote:I think these are the best for a good price:
http://shop.inteset.com/inteset_4-in-1_ ... te_int-422

They are programmable on their own, but also JP1 compatible if you really want to go nuts with it.

Edit....posted at same time as mdavej
Have to agree for the money Inteset remotes are good for the tasks. Even though one of the earlier models didn't make it a full year before buttons beginning to fail it was/is cheap enough and more than easy to configure without consulting or gaining permission from the internet. For some reason I prefer NOT having to constantly connect to the 'net to get my purchased devices to work! :)

I'm waiting delivery of the newer model with longer warranty so the jury is still out on that one----I do like the functionality of the previous model though.

HTH? :)

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:48 pm

The previous Inteset was junk. The current model is completely different, now made by UEI, the world's largest remote maker. They know how to build a remote.

They are good for any task. You have no idea what these remotes are capable of. They have more capabilities than Harmony and URC costing hundreds more when you install our custom OS. See the original thread for details.

And the jury is not still out. UEI has been making this exact same remote under other brand names for at least 7 years. I have some that old that still work like new. And when the button contacts start to wear out, just clean them to get several more years out of them.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:10 am

This should give you an idea of some of the amazing capabilities of the Inteset (and many other JP1 remotes like it).

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 631#p79631

Here's a little history of the Inteset's ancestors, if you're interested:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11728

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:29 am

I have been using the sony learning remote since I first started using a htpc. I am able to program all functions and for under $20.00 if it gets lost by one of my 4 kids or broken its no big deal to by another one. Takes awhile to program it and you need the original remote for anything not on the code sheet. (like WMC) I just picked up a wmc remote with a usb ir sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-Uni ... _89%3ASony

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:10 am

This is what i posted recently for someone else...

By the way, a Logitech Harmony 650 or 700 remote works well with the Xbox and/or windows media center once you have a USB ir receiver.
Easy setup, green button available, and it can control the other components as well.
Can be setup to turn everything on and switch to appropriate inputs/settings with one button press.

I'm up to 4 of these now for my various TV's, media center PCs, and Xbox360/Ceton Echo extenders.

HP 5188-1667 Media Center IR USB Remote Transmitterhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z7XJME/ref=cm_sw_ ... lvb1XQ0AJZ

Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control - Silver (915-000159) (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UNSW4LW/re ... lvb0QD04TE

Logitech Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote with Color Screen (Discontinued by Manufacturer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IC0YLS/re ... lvb19V01EX

mismjy1

Post by mismjy1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:36 pm

I went through two of the Gyration GYR3101US remotes, and was really saddened when they stopped selling them. I contacted the new owner of the company and they said they no longer had patents or plans for the device. The point and click mouse combined with WMC buttons on the Gyration was simply the best combo I had used (better than Pronto for my needs). I had the model with the separate keyboard as well.

After searching around, I finally ordered this sucker from Amazon for $20: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K76 ... detailpage

Pros:
- RF
- Mouse pointer works well and can easily be adjusted
- Five programmable IR keys (I use for TV, Soundbar, Volume and sleep on my HTPC)
- Navigation keys work pretty well for WMC
- Pointer mouse and clicker work great for other Windows apps
- Built in keyboard is very handy for searching titles, etc.
- Cheap!

Cons:
- Lacking some helpful buttons (stop, WMC home)

It takes a bit of user training, but now I use it 95% of the time. In addition to WMC, I use it with the Netxlix 8.1 app, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Instant Video through IE. With the keyboard, I can even log in to Windows, something that wasn't possible with the Gyration. If your IR needs are simple like mine, this is an amazing solution for the money.