HDMI-CEC: Finally on your HTPC!!!!!!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI-CEC: Finally on your HTPC!!!!!!

Post by makryger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 am

If you check back at the old TGB, you'll see I always made a note to comment on how much I really wanted HDMI-CEC on an HTPC. There is simply no reason why it shouldn't be there. The HDMI is already there. The software exists (See toshiba or sony laptops), just no one has implemented it at a reasonable price. (The current solution is from Rainshadow Tech for $99 (http://rainshadowtech.com/default_files/HDMICECUSB.htm)).

That changes now! MissingRemote.com has a review of the DH61AG board- a specially made thin Mini ITX board. It has an HDMI pin BUILT IN. It will require a separately purchased PCB board, but this is quite exciting. Every week we see new exciting announcements in the world of HTPCs. The future looks promising!

http://www.missingremote.com/review/fir ... otherboard
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 am

Wow, very cool. I just love evolving tech. I see they even included a cup holder :shock:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

sgtpokey

Post by sgtpokey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 am

makryger wrote:That changes now! MissingRemote.com has a review of the DH61AG board- a specially made thin Mini ITX board. It has an HDMI pin BUILT IN. It will require a separately purchased PCB board, but this is quite exciting. Every week we see new exciting announcements in the world of HTPCs. The future looks promising!
How does that work: I thought all the TV manufacturers used their own codes? I assume any HDMI-CEC implementation would still require some software to handle communication from HTPC to the Device in question?

Pretty cool board, I can see a building a pseudo "Extender" pc with this (and a networked tuner). I'm wondering if there's a place for putting antenna leads somewhere if you put a wireless n card in the half size mini-pcie slot...

For my main HTPC, I'd probably hope they build a microatx size board... or at least a board that has 6 sata slots and support for intel's chipset raid...

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Awesome. This has always been one of those things I was wanting to see happen!

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:11 am

sgtpokey wrote: How does that work: I thought all the TV manufacturers used their own codes? I assume any HDMI-CEC implementation would still require some software to handle communication from HTPC to the Device in question?
Actually, belive it or not, HDMI-CEC is a standard implementation no matter what the TV company. They all call them different things (Bravia Sync, Regza Link, Aquos Link, Anynet+, etc., but the protocol should be the same. There may of course be certain commands unique to one piece of equipment, but it still should all communicate and work with all the standard remote commands like d-pad, channel, volume, numbers, power, and so on.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 am

Wow.. I never thought they would finally implement this.. This is great news. Now if we could just get NVIDIA and AMD to implement this on their video cards that would be awesome! Maybe the NVIDIA 630?? Here's to hoping it happens sooner rather than later!
newfiend

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Why wait for that, when this is already available and you can use it on any HTPC you already own and it actually has software that works. Windows version already out Linux version due out next month...

http://shop.rcaware.com/RCAware-PC-CEC- ... C-BNDL.htm

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:43 pm

While that's certainly a nice temporary solution, i think the ultimate (and quite reasonable) goal is not to have yet another piece of external hardware sticking out of your PC. Some of us like our HTPCs to look like clean CE devices.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 pm

I agree. A solution that uses my existing HDMI cable and doesn't require me to add any additional hardware would be ideal. But I don't have any technical knowledge of HDMI-CEC, so I don't know if that would even be possible.

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 am

CEC uses one wire on the HDMI cable (shared ground also, so technically two) and there are very few setups that have the pin to that wire (CEC header) built in. Think right now some Toshiba laptops have it and heard talk of a potental motherboard from Intel where the internal video has the pinout. Also communications over that wire are typically handled by a dedicated micro-chip/firmware, not sure that has to be the case but even in TVs and other equipment that I have seen specs for this is the case. Now extra chips and wiring is not that big a deal for the video card manufacturers but add into that developing and supporting an application to make it useful, and having it really drive extra sales, I think is the problem. The ends do not justify the means or else they would have already done it.

I totally know what you mean about the clean install. I would consider making an internal version of the device, there is already an adapter to hook up the CEC bridge devicve to an interal USB header the problem after that is the big fat HDMI cable. If I could get a special adapter made to run just a thin line with the two wires for CEC/ground out of the back of the PC that would then connect between your video card output and the HDMI cable (like an inline adaptor) would that be more attractive or would that not make a difference to you guys?

josim

Post by josim » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

Wow, I didn't know what HDMI-CEC was when I started reading this thread. What do you know I have it! I have a 2008 Samsung TV w/ Anynet+, the only year they made it. So I recently purchased a Samsung MR-00EA1 Media Center Extender which mounts on the back of the TV and is controlled via the IR receiver on the TV. It is a clean setup, I like it.

chanmanx2k

Post by chanmanx2k » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Will this work with receivers to adjust volume?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 am

It should work with Any HDMI-CEC compliant device. It is not completely without issue though. We are fighting with a bug in the Amino A140/540 STB at work where the conversation to decide on the audio format between the TV and the Amino is driving the Amino nuts and cause some audio breakup up.

Nvidia and AMD need to get off their collective asses and get CEC implemented at the card level. It's the only thing I need to make my TV remotes completely useless. If the PC can power up the TV and the timer can turn it off than I can just use my IP network for control of everything.

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:19 am

chanmanx2k wrote:Will this work with receivers to adjust volume?
Yes the RCAware plugin has built in volume sync for Sony, LG and Samsung. Other amps such as Denon, Yamaha etc that have HDMI-CEC support and can talk to a Sony, LG or Samsung TV normally are also fully supported. And when I say volume sync I mean that, change volume through the TV remote, the volume slider in windows, keyboard, PC remote you name it and the volume is kept the same between windows and the amp.

PS if someone has another HDMI-CEC capable amp that I have not listed I'd be more than happy to personally work with you to make the code work for your amp too. Just email me at info@rcaware.com.