Seemingly random ATSC smudging pixelation on HD channels

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

Sorry I did not read the topic above properly before suggesting GPU.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:35 pm

I finally decided the PC is too slow for WMC.
So I took the ATSC PCI HDTV wonder card and put it into a Emachines with Athlon II x64 520+ cpu, so two cores running at 2.6ghz. Windows, I had windows detect the driver and it installed, right click, update drivers from device manager.

It works great even using the onboard video Nvidia 6150se and only 2 gb DDR2 memory.

I also have an Avermedia M791b pcie tuner card out of a Gateway PC, which works terrible, horrible, awful in two different AMD PC's and one of those is a 4core AM3 cpu fast machine with GTX260 Nvidia card. But it works ok in an intel based motherboard core2duo 3.4 ghz PC running a cheap Geforce 8600se video card with 256mb.
The M791b pcie card works terrible with lots of pixelating breakups and smearing in the EMachines PC and the other AMD based 4 core PC I have. Why that is I don't know.
I do believe the video cards as long as they meet some very basic minimum specs work fine, so it is something to do with the particular combination of ATSC card with the motherboards.

I have an Avermedia M780 which works great in the other AMD 4 core CPU PC and in the Intel core2duo PC.
I have a Cat's Eye Vbox 3560 USB which has worked great in all the PC's I try, except for the one I originally posted about on my first post in this thread. That one the Vbox tuner has trouble staying listed as working in device manager and WMC says there are no tuners.
I was wondering if since it is USB powered, the PC motherboard can not supply enough power to it.

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:42 am

I fixed it by taking out the wonder HDTV pci card and replacing with an Asus MyCinema pci card.
I had taken out the wonder card and put in a powerful PC and it eventually went crazy glitching as in the weaker pc.
So I decided maybe the wonder card was bad, or the wonder drivers have an issue with windows 7 as they were made for XP.

So far the MyCinema card has been perfect.
here is how to install in win7
http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center ... -win7.html

anyway, time will tell.