Logitech Harmony Remotes Discussion

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Napalm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logitech Harmony Remotes Discussion

Post by Napalm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Losing HD audio isn't acceptable for me, which is why I have it setup the way I do.
I'm going to look into one of the programmable Logitech remotes. If there is a way to program the power-up sequence with delays, it should work.
The Gefen is another solution, however if i'm going to spend $100 to fix this issue, I would rather spend a little more and get rid of some of the extra remotes on my table.

Does anyone know if the Logitech Harmony remotes can do what I mentioned above?

Thanks for all the help

[Moderator note: Thread split from the nVidia driver thread http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=1637 ]

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:11 am

Napalm wrote:Losing HD audio isn't acceptable for me, which is why I have it setup the way I do.
I'm going to look into one of the programmable Logitech remotes. If there is a way to program the power-up sequence with delays, it should work.
The Gefen is another solution, however if i'm going to spend $100 to fix this issue, I would rather spend a little more and get rid of some of the extra remotes on my table.

Does anyone know if the Logitech Harmony remotes can do what I mentioned above?

Thanks for all the help
For numerous reasons, I wouldn't touch a Harmony remote with a 10 foot pole, but I believe they can do what you want. I doubt it will be completely reliable, and when it doesn't work (e.g. because you didn't triangulate the remote just right), you may have to get up and fiddle with the Nvidia control panel again, and that sort of thing really spoils the mood. I can't be bothered with power-on/off or input selection sequence restrictions, so I would look into the Gefen thing if I cared about getting the lossless Dolby and DTS formats out of my PC.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 am

I have a Harmony One.. I like it.. Others don't.
You can set the power up sequence for the components. I would think that you could also set the power down sequence as well.. It's been so long since I had to mess with that software I can't remember for sure on the power down sequence but I know I was able to set the power on sequence just fine. I have my TV turn on then AVR then HTPC last and I believe when it powers down it's the same TV, AVR, PC... Everything works great for me this way. Although I have never had an issue with the Nvidia settings not sticking either.
newfiend~

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am

i love my harmony one and have some actions set up as a macro at shut down, the main one being to stop any media playing when the tv is turned off. I've never had any of the concerns that crawfish is trying to worry you with, and even in the 1 in a thousand times that it doesn't quite turn on correctly there is a very simple and effective help function that pretty much fixes any sequencing problems for you.

the harmony one has been the only stable part of my HTPC for the last 3 years, i think every other component has been changed. i'd buy another in a heartbeat, in fact i bought a 300 to use on the second tv / raspberry pi combo the other week and even though the raspberry pi remote was not known to harmony it learnt all of the keystrokes from detecting 2 button presses. i cannot recommend them enough.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm

+1 for the harmony one.. It's not the best remote ever but not the worst by far either. It's backlit..Love that, In fact I don't think I could live without that feature anymore. It operates all my devices.. couldn't be happier. But to each their own.. =)

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 pm

newfiend wrote:+1 for the harmony one.. It's not the best remote ever but not the worst by far either. It's backlit..Love that, In fact I don't think I could live without that feature anymore. It operates all my devices.. couldn't be happier. But to each their own.. =)
I don't like the Harmony's ergonomics, necessity of charging it, the expense of it, and I hate remotes with screens. But even so, I kept my 880 in a drawer for four years. It was my experience trying to get Logitech to add codes that finally made me sell it.
1/12/2012: From me: Contacted Logitch, asked them to add codes, included the Excel file with the codes, the same one I used to create my JP1 device upgrades. I did this only because I was curious about the process and was interested to see if Harmony could be a viable alternative to JP1 for teaching my Sony RM-VL610 various discrete codes for Media Center, TVs, AVRs, etc which don't appear on remotes.

1/18/2012: From Logitech (verbatim, copied out of the email with no alterations): I understand that your having issues with your Harmony 880 remote discreet Hex Codes and you like to know how to use it. I can imagine the inconvenience. My name is Mark your technical support agent assigned for this case. I'll be more than happy to help you.

crawfish, please provide us first the list of commands that you would like to have for Hex Codes so we can proceed to troubleshooting.

Please inform us soon if you have the list already.

1/18/2012: From me: Told them the codes were in the file I sent with my first message and reiterated everything I said in that message.

1/24/2012: From Logitech (verbatim, copied out of the email with no alterations): Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care. My name Jake.

I understand that you are having issues with your Harmony 880. I can imagine how frustrating it is. I can help you resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, your email didn't include your Harmony Remote Software Login ID. I need this to be able to link this incident with your account and to view the warranty status of the remote. Please respond to this email with your Login ID. If you have forgotten it, please follow the steps below:

1/24/2012: From me: Nothing, because I did include that information when I submitted the form, and he's either incompetent or lying. Beyond that, he asked about the warranty status, which should be irrelevant to adding codes. I gave up and put my 4 y/o 880 that I used for a grand total of a couple of months when I first got it on eBay the next day. I hated its layout, its overall ergonomics, the need to look down at a screen, and the necessity to keep it in a charging cradle. Never again! In contrast, the JP1 procedure takes just a few minutes to do, and I'm in completely control of the process.
Note that this whole miserable process which produced nothing but frustration took 2 weeks. Thanks a lot, Mark and Jake, if those really are your names. :lol:

OTOH, Logitech came through like a champ for my K750 solar keyboard that was unable to reliably charge its battery. Apparently this was a pretty common defect in the early samples of this keyboard, and Logitech replaced it with no hassle at all or cost to me. I just called them, explained the situation, and 4 days later, I had a brand new K750. I didn't even have to send my old one back. This was like a year and a half into the 3 year warranty. Best of all, this new one seems to actually have working charging circuitry.