Nvidia WHQL Driver (295.73) Released! = POO 29/59 bug!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Campi3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Campi3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am

newfiend wrote:
Campi3 wrote:yes, 200m series ( gt240m )
has reinstalling the original driver fixed the issue?
newfiend
yes

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:09 pm

newfiend wrote:Latest WHQL seems solid. I have been using it for roughly 24 hrs. Watched TV all night w/o issue.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express
Thanks I will load it tonight and give it a test drive too!!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm

No problem.. I still have had no issue with the driver on my GT430 & My GTX560Ti..

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:38 am

Update: tonight I started getting the 29/59 bug again with the latest WHQL driver.. Haven't noticed it in the last two days on any channels until tonight on the Cartoon Network and again on HBO.. I dropped back to the last stable beta again.. Problem solved. Just wanted to update you that the flicker is still in the latest WHQL. Sorry if I miss led anyone.
newfiend

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:34 am

newfiend wrote:Update: tonight I started getting the 29/59 bug again with the latest WHQL driver.. Haven't noticed it in the last two days on any channels until tonight on the Cartoon Network and again on HBO.. I dropped back to the last stable beta again.. Problem solved. Just wanted to update you that the flicker is still in the latest WHQL. Sorry if I miss led anyone.
I've been waiting for you to post this ever since you declared the problem absent on the "TV you watched all night." :wave: Please, everyone interested in this problem really needs to save clips of affected programs for future testing. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes to reliably determine how badly 29/59 is manifesting.

As for doing something about it, if you visit the Nvidia forums, you will find a thread started on Feb 1 on 295.51's newly missing "Content type reported to the display" option (for some cards, anyway), which also goes into the new (apparently ubiquitous) 29/59 flicker, a thread that has been updated for 295.73, which fixed nothing. I urge everyone who's installed the 295 series drivers and observed these problems to open their own tickets with Nvidia on these issues. Also, it wouldn't hurt to bump that thread from time to time to keep it visible amidst all the gamer noise. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222034

To be clear, the 295 series Nvidia driver is a DISASTER for Media Center. It's really quite unbelievable.

And finally, here's hoping the Ceton Q is a great product that will liberate me forever from Nvidia, ATI, and using a PC for TV playback.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

crawfish wrote:
newfiend wrote:Update: tonight I started getting the 29/59 bug again with the latest WHQL driver.. Haven't noticed it in the last two days on any channels until tonight on the Cartoon Network and again on HBO.. I dropped back to the last stable beta again.. Problem solved. Just wanted to update you that the flicker is still in the latest WHQL. Sorry if I miss led anyone.
I've been waiting for you to post this ever since you declared the problem absent on the "TV you watched all night." :wave: Please, everyone interested in this problem really needs to save clips of affected programs for future testing. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes to reliably determine how badly 29/59 is manifesting.

As for doing something about it, if you visit the Nvidia forums, you will find a thread started on Feb 1 on 295.51's newly missing "Content type reported to the display" option (for some cards, anyway), which also goes into the new (apparently ubiquitous) 29/59 flicker, a thread that has been updated for 295.73, which fixed nothing. I urge everyone who's installed the 295 series drivers and observed these problems to open their own tickets with Nvidia on these issues. Also, it wouldn't hurt to bump that thread from time to time to keep it visible amidst all the gamer noise. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222034

To be clear, the 295 series Nvidia driver is a DISASTER for Media Center. It's really quite unbelievable.

And finally, here's hoping the Ceton Q is a great product that will liberate me forever from Nvidia, ATI, and using a PC for TV playback.
We have 4 Kids and 2 Adults in my home. Our HTPC is literally on ALL DAY...My wife nor kids had any issues with this as they usually report problems with the HTPC to me if there is a problem. I installed the newest WHQL and watched the CW channel for awhile as well as our usual weekly shows the last two nights... The CW channel for me exhibited the behavior the worst last time I tried an updated driver. I didn't get any flicker at all, and none of my recordings had it. I thought they may have fixed it in the latest WHQL. It wasn't until watching The Clone Wars on CN last night did it start flickering... not constantly but every so often... Then I tried HBO... and it was a mess... I couldn't believe it was doing this after two solid days of watching TV w/o issues.
I have the episode of The Clone Wars on CN that had the problem. I will hang on to this episode to test later driver updates.
I apologize for misleading anyone affected by the bug. I will most definitely post over at Nvidia about the issue. What is strange to me as the nvidia cards have been pretty good at not exhibiting this behavior (as bad) up until recently...Wonder what they changed that is making it do this now.?? Hopefully it gets sorted soon.
UPDATE: Posted over at Nvidia as well.. hope we see some resolution to this.
newfiend~

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:42 am

Thank you newfiend for the continued post. I tried a recording with the known 29/59 problem and did indeed have flickering with the newest WHQL. went back to the 290.53 beta driver that is a known good driver and it is working fine again. I guess ill just stick with this one until nvidia can get it right again.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm

No problem, I am actually very sorry I reported this as an ok driver when in fact it was not. Crawfish is correct in that I should keep recordings that manifest he bug to test with. I have one now so I will keep that for future testing purposes. I apologize again if I miss led anyone. I changed the title of the original thread to reflect the problem so others would know asap. If you haven't posted over at NVIDIA I urge you to do so. The more noise we make about it the better/sooner it may be addressed.
Thanks,
newfiend

crz864

Post by crz864 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Hello guys, I'm facing some problem with the newest Nvidia 295.73 driver. Whenever I try to watch video(or youtube) in fullscreen mode via HDMI output to any television, the screen will keep flickering and even worse the signal will be lost, somehow. After that I immediately uninstalled it and reinstalled the old version 285.62. Although I've reinstalled it but it seems there are some problems still remained, "thanks" to the 295.73 driver :lolno: . Does anyone here have the same problem as I have? Because I was so happy the day when Nvidia had finally released their new driver after a very long waiting and now have no choice but forced to use the previous version. Besides, can anyone here recommend any driver that is stable right now but newer than 285.62? Any help would be much appreciated! :)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Install beta 290.53. It seems to be the most stable at this time. During install select custom install, then select the check box for a clean install. This will remove the old drivers and install the new ones, should fix the flicker problem for you.
newfiend

Ryan2832

Post by Ryan2832 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:58 pm

Just a quick question to this old thread...
I want to make sure I am understanding the problem ther is being talked about here.
The 29/59 bug is a "stutter" issue with the video being played back.
I see that some people are referring to it as "flicker". The flicker is a separate issue with a registry hack fix.
Is this issue being discussed actually the 29/59 bug or is it the "flicker" issue?
Thanks for any clarification. :)

Ryan

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:48 am