Recommendation for KVM?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
leina

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommendation for KVM?

Post by leina » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

My old Win7 PC recently bit the dust (probably literally). Anyway, I ended up buying two computers as a replacement--one running Win10 (where I will be doing the majority of my work and any web surfing) and an inexpensive one running Win7 (which I intend to use only for WMC and hopefully running for eternity with better maintenance on my part).

I have limited space and want to use the same keyboard/mouse/monitor for both purposes. I would rather not have to deal with the added cords of a physical KVM switch and have looked for a software alternative. The descriptions all seem to assume using multiple monitors and multiple PCs. Do any of you share a single monitor with two machines, and if so, which KVM software do you recommend?

Thanks for your input!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 am

I was unable to find the Delete button

Mod, please delete this post
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 am

I think RDP would be your best option.

viewtopic.php?p=101863#p101863

For a quick test you could download a trial of Teamviewer

leina

Post by leina » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks, I will try that! Although, if the Guide doesn't get updated in a few days, I guess the whole thing is moot.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 am

leina wrote:Thanks, I will try that! Although, if the Guide doesn't get updated in a few days, I guess the whole thing is moot.
moot... or.... a couple hours getting acquainted with EPG123.

Getting back to RDP... If you enable RDP and multiple sessions on the server, not only do you connect with the Win10 RDP Client, you can also connect with RDP Client installed on your phones and tablets. Each Client gets their own tuner. The only limitations are....the number of tuners, the strength of your network, and amount of horsepower on the server.

If you are interested, I will give you a link to our notes, that were recorded during the RDP Project.

As I suggested before, going the TeamViewer route, is simple and painless. Google it, download and install, and you will be RDP'ing in 10 minutes from now.