WMC Remote options w/GreenButton functionality?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newdamage1

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Remote options w/GreenButton functionality?

Post by newdamage1 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Heya folks, the last of my Rosewill Greenbutton remotes just died. After an hour of searching around, I've not seen a direct replacement. What are you folks using now for MCE remotes? Suggestions appreciated!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 am

Here are at least 100 options. On a JP1 remote, you can add any function to any button. Nearly all have MCE codes built in. All can load MCE codes. Nearly all can control multiple devices, do activity macros, volume punch thru, etc. Vastly better than any MCE remote.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.p ... emoteChart

My favorites are the Inteset INT-422 ($20) and OARUSB04G ($6).

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri May 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I like this remote. The fact that it includes mouse functionality makes it quite handy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-In ... wmc+remote

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 pm

If you search for MCE remote control on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss ... K5R8FCTXO7

I've used at least 3 of these, including the Ortek mentioned above, and the Rosewill remote. I don't use the remote's themselves, just the IR receiver and then program Harmony universal remotes.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:28 am

Here is a different idea. Turn your phone into a remote.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I love Ortek as well, but it is not a direct replacement for the Rosewill. So make sure you get one with the IR dongle included, as you'll have to use it in place of your current MCE IR dongle. Also, have a sharpie or black tape handy since the Ortek's dongle is blindingly bright. And the behavior of some buttons is a little different than MCE. IIRC, i (Info) sends a right mouse click. Not a big deal to most, but something to be aware of.

As others have said, Harmony is also a good option, but more expensive. JP1 is cheap and universal (controls many devices, not just PC). Phone remote is free and is great for text entry, but won't control power or vol on your TV.

After using a universal for the past 20 years, I don't see the appeal of OEM remotes of any sort. Their functionality is so limited, and I don't like juggling remotes in my 18 device system.

newdamage1

Post by newdamage1 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like we still have some decent options. Thanks!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun May 07, 2017 12:48 am

newdamage1 wrote:Heya folks, the last of my Rosewill Greenbutton remotes just died. After an hour of searching around, I've not seen a direct replacement. What are you folks using now for MCE remotes? Suggestions appreciated!
Go on ebay....search for "Windows Media Center remote" and pick your style....

TONS of different models. The Newest (well 5-8 years ago), HP models are my personal favs. Look at the layout of the remote. I think it works better then even the Microsoft ones...but, that's just me.

Like this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Media-Center ... SwrddY7Xep
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 am

Bear in mind that there are two different protocols which were used, so you need to match the remote to your receiver. By far the most common is the Microsoft/Philips RC-6 IR protocol. So any remote carrying the RC6 logo will work seamlessly with any matching RC6 infrared receiver.

If you find a remote with the Green Button but without the RC6 logo, it is probably using the Microsoft/SMK Quatro Pulse IR protocol. This was introduced alongside Windows 7 and will not work with an RC-6 receiver.

I currently use a Logitech Harmony One remote but still have a collection of RC6 remotes. My favourites are the Sony RM-MCE30U & RM-MCE30E, they are basically the same remote but without and with the coloured Teletext / Interactive TV buttons. They were originally supplied with later model Sony Media Center PCs. They have a nice clean design which doesn't look out of place alongside your other AV remotes. They are also available in white as the RM-MCE20U & RM-MCE20E.
IMG_0090.JPG
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 am

I'm using Harmony 650 & 700 remotes as it makes things easy on the wife.

I have a few of those hp media center remotes floating around in a box somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk