New GPU, no HDMI video

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

New GPU, no HDMI video

Post by Joram » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:32 pm

I just installed a PNY GT 730 card to replace an old GeForce GT 240 that was overheating, but while the PC seems to boot up normally (the power button lights up, the hard drive spins up and its LED also lights up and blinks), I am not getting a video signal. The TV is plugged into the GPU via the HDMI port.

Did I miss an installation step somewhere? How to go about troubleshooting the issue?

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 in an HP Pavilion p6710f PC.

Thanks in advance.

Joram

Post by Joram » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 pm

UPDATE: I got video to show up. Looks like the HDMI cable wasn't fully inserted or something.

But now, I can't get the computer to recognize the new graphics card. Whatever pop-up may have appeared when the PC first found the new card, is long gone as I rebooted "blind" a couple of times in the attempt to get a video signal. Device Manager doesn't seem to be aware of the new card's existence, and the installation CD offered only to install GeForce Experience, which is useless as this is an older card and GFE will not connect to Nvidia -- it will "find" new drivers but not actually download them.

I'm currently manually downloading the latest driver for the 730 from Nvidia's site, but I don't have any great hopes that it will install since AFAICT the PC hasn't found the card itself.

Any suggestions??

Joram

Post by Joram » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 pm

OK, problem solved.

The driver update did take -- Device Manager recognized it when the installation was finished, and even before the required reboot.

Everything's working great now -- no HDMI handshake issues, no DRM problems, my whole system is happy and so am I. And so is the wife. :)

Joram

Post by Joram » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:24 am

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I launched a hardware monitor and watched the GPU temperature climb steadily past 100C. At about 105 degrees, the PC crashed again.

This suggests that the video card isn't the problem, but then what could it be? Is it possible that the PCIe slot is malfunctioning in some way? What else could be causing two different video cards (one old, one new) to heat up during WMC playback, to the point where the computer crashes?

Joram

Post by Joram » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Another update:

I opened up the PC case again and removed one of the nearby expansion-slot brackets (not sure if that's what they're called) that you would remove from the rear wall of the case in order to install another expansion card. This appears to have improved air flow, as GPU temperatures are holding steady at 45-55C during WMC playback.

Not sure why this would have become an issue all of a sudden after so many years, but as long as the system keeps working I'm not complaining.

Will come back in here if there's anything new to report. I would still appreciate getting some educated guesses as to what could have caused this problem.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Check to see if the fan in the power supply, or any other, is working