SSD vs M.2

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

SSD vs M.2

Post by choliscott » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious on if anybody switched from using a 2.5 SSD to a M.2 drive for WMC. If so, did you notice any differences (i.e. extenders responded faster, etc) ?

Thanks

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:03 pm

choliscott wrote:Hi Everyone,

I was just curious on if anybody switched from using a 2.5 SSD to a M.2 drive for WMC. If so, did you notice any differences (i.e. extenders responded faster, etc) ?

Thanks
By the numbers, it should be faster. Keep in mind, WMC was designed around single core CPUS and old 5400 RPM drives (2009 PC specs). So, it would get not get too much faster in WMC.

I upgraded from a OLD machine to a new machine... My old machine was upgraded to a SSD and a pretty good video card, so it performed pretty well over all but, SATA 1 on it, old school.

Media Center ran good on it. So I upgraded to a new QUAD core i5, 16gb ram, SATA III, and even a GTX1050... And the system boots faster (a lot faster), Media Center performs about the same ACCEPT when starting some larger videos tend to start a little faster.

The Extender would depend on your network speeds, your NIC in your PC and the swich to get to your extender. If your using a Xbox 360, they dont support Gigabit connections, just 10/1000 so it a far outdated as networking goes.

So in a nutshell, not too much, when running WMC it might start a HAIR faster but, not by much and general navigation, not much at all if anything, as it was designed and locked to a performance level so it works the same across all PCs)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012