Mouse problem - advice?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Mouse problem - advice?

Post by webminster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Lately for some reason the USB mice on my HTPC have stopped working right - pointer either not moving, or moving erratically after moving the mouse a few seconds. I've tried different USB ports on the machine, and a different mouse (known good), same problem.

I swapped the USB2 ports between the mouse and the Microsoft IR receiver.. the receiver seems to be working OK on either port. The mice act erratically no matter which port I plug into.

EDIT: should note wunupdate is set to manual, and I've not run updates since putting in service...

Because of that, I'm more expecting some Windows7 issue than a motherboard issue... has anyone had problems like this? Any advice? Thanks in advance for any suggestions (really hoping not for just "reinstall Windows and redo HTPC").
-Alan

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 am

have you cleaned your mouse ball? (or the IR sensor, if it's IR )

(oh, you tried a different mouse.. never mind)

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:46 am

Maybe you can try booting to safe mode to see if the problem persists. If it works in safe mode, then it is most likely some software/drivers installed on your PC causing the issue.

You can also try booting to another operating system (such as a version of Linux off of a USB flash drive). If the problem still persists on the new OS, then it is most likely a hardware issue.

These are just some thoughts... I am no expert on troubleshooting these types of things. Might be a good idea to try to get help on a more appropriate forum (Windows or PC hardware based).

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:43 pm

If you make it through all the basic and logical stuff to no avail, I use to use RecordedTVHD, and every time I installed it, eventually, it would cause strange issues with my mice, and mc remote functions. Quick check,.... unplug the receiver, 10 seconds, plug it back in.
If it helps, Then go on to find the interfering party.