New HTPC

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
droopie

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HTPC

Post by droopie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 pm

I currently have 2 HDHR Primes on Comcast. I have it all running on a win7 64 mini tower with a AMD Phenom X2. My setup is I NEVER watch tv on the HTPC...only on a Xbox360 extender (1) and sometimes on my new desktop thru the HDview app. Everything works fine, save 2 things. #1 this machine is fairly large, but it's an AMD and it cranks out some heat...even at idle. It makes this office very hot in the summer and even noticeable in the winter. #2 I am going to give it to my teen to play Steam games on like COD and MW.

I am looking for something inexpensive that would provide good performance. We're not heavy tv watchers, but like to record a lot. The AMD setup currently has a 256gb SSD and a 5tb HD for recording. I know I'll have to start from scratch on my recordings when I switch, but I don't really care. AMC runs Walking Dead marathons and most other shows have a catchup week or weekend before a new season.

What's a good preferably sff desktop I can find on Ebay, Amazon, Woot, etc that is CHEAP but will do the job feeding 1 extender...maybe 2 in the future?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Intel NUC or similar.

I've been eyeing those for some time. It's the perfect DVR box. Plug the recorded TV disc into USB, and there you have it.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:29 pm

This may be too big for you, but it's on sale for more than 50% off now ($199 vs $419).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I've been running one 24/7 for two years w/o issue. Very quiet and does not put out much heat at all. Since it is a 'Server', it is meant to run 24/7 and has no sleep mode.

I have 4 Xbox 360 Extenders, and it also is my Plex server.

You will need to add an OS, HDD/SSD, and RAM. So depending if your are reusing your HDD, you should be able to come in at $350-$400.

I use Win 7 and 8gb of RAM, but 4gb should be enough for 2 simultaneous extender streams.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Why would you lose your recordings? You can just swap the HD into the new machine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:47 pm

HDHR Prime, tells me cableCARD, and some cable systems put DRM onto everything--which means swapping systems makes you lose all the DRM recordings.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:03 pm

a cheap 2nd hand core 2 duo 3ghz ( or quad core) wont use much electricty or get hot and should be very cheap. May incl a w7 license. You can probably get a Windows 8.1 licence from Ebay for around £8 or so and downgrade to Windows 7 or get a windows 7 licence for the same amount from a junked machine ( as I did, had to use the phone in method to get it activated ). I have had no problems with my Windows 7 machine on a core 2 duo 3.16 Intel cpu - my mb also has inbuilt graphics whoch is fine ( for non blu ray? )a G41 mb with 4 sata 2 sockets uses DDR3 memory up to 8gb.

droopie

Post by droopie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:05 pm

I thought I would lose all recordings...but I guess I would only lose the DRM ones which are only HBO and Starz for me, I think right now.

Forgive me, but it's been so long since I setup WMC, is there a good guide to reference? Also, is there anyway I can backup my WMC setup and move it to a new Windows installation?

Can the recording disk be USB 2.0 or would that be slow and cause lag? This sff desktop doesn't have any 3.0 ports, but I think I could run a SATA cable out of it and use my current Sata 5TB recording drive in an old enclosure I have.