Hard Drive Performance

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hard Drive Performance

Post by mldenison » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 pm

I've always had trouble with occasionally having a scheduled recording start.

Last fall I bought two 8TB Seagate Archive drives (I keep a lot of shows), one for Recorded TV and the other for backing up the first drive.

For the last month or so, I've been plagued with jerky playback.

I downloaded a hard drive read/write tester and ran it on both drives. While writing, I was getting around 200mb/s. Reading was a different matter. I was getting around 120mb/s.

I ordered and installed a 8TB Seagate Enterprise drive for the recording drive. Writing speed is around 250mb/s and reading speed is around 240mb/s.

Jerky playback is completely gone and 10 shows recorded at the same time last night with no problems starting the recording (a side benefit, I guess).

Now I know why the original drives were called Archive. The new one was about twice the price of the original but well worth it.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:09 pm

these bluray size files?. hmm 10 shows thats a lot and you expect to be able to watch some thing else at the time? I think the 10 shows is the reason? wrting to 10 files at a decent bit rate what do you expect? Now if you get jerky playback when not recording would be another matter?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:20 pm

I have absolutely no problems recording 10 shows while watching a recorded show or live TV now. The jerky playback occurred while NOT recording anything using the old drive.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:39 am

well my media center uses much slower Hitachi 5900 rpm drives for storre files and I have no such problem in the UK & my boot drive is an old ide drive meant for audio visual work. and the cpu is an old dual core E8500 3.167 ghz on a G41 chipset board..