Part of picture cut off from TV

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
pdean

HTPC Specs: Show details

Part of picture cut off from TV

Post by pdean » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:53 am

I believe this is an age old question but I don't understand all the possibilities regarding what would cause some of a TV channel to not fit on the TV screen. A classic example is text on the side and the first few letters may not show.

I have am using a rather old PC for my media center and the video is DVI out from a MSI Radeon HD 4550 card in an Intel DG965WH motherboard. For years I have been using a Westinghouse LTV-32w3 HD TV and this week traded it for a new Samsung UN40H5003. I get my TV signal from Comcast and for my media center tuner I use a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card from Comcast that I have used for years. When simply watching the same TV I have used a simple very smaller box from Comcast SD model CTHMUDTA and on other TVs in my house I use the non digital old looking very warm Scientific Atlanta SA4250MR and SA2200.

What is controlling the picture on my TV. Both the signal that comcast sends me and and my TVs. Do I need a better tuner from Comcast for simply the TVs. What about my media center picture. Is my video card the problem or is it the signal from comcast or TV. I guess the bottom of the line is is the hardware or signal. What are the steps to get a better picture.

In the past before getting a new TV I tried different resolutions using the media center setup and last evening took a look at that with my new TV and the specs seemed better than the former TV but text still off screen and some of the picture like faces looking a little large or missing the top of a person head.

Thanks

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Try setting output to TV instead of Flat Panel in WMC. Flat Panel uses overscan.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:55 pm

^ What he said, and doublecheck your TV's picture size settings. Make sure you're using (if your TV supports it) a size setting of "just scan," "1:1", or similar (manufacturers call it different things). You want to have the 1:1 pixel ratio setting, other settings may cause the TV to overscan.
-Alan

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

My Samsung calls the screen size "just fit".

Also, dont name the HDMI port anything with the word "PC" in it. The TV cues off of that and really goofs up it's settings.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:29 pm

You should set your video drivers to 1920x1080 output and also set the scaling options in the drivers to 0% (no underscan).

For this Samsung TV, the option you want to set for "Size" in the TV options (of the TV) is "Screen Fit", this will cause the TV to display the full picture without cutting off any of the sides of the picture (i.e. no zooming in).

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:37 pm

If none of the above works try moving two feet closer to the screen.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 pm

pdean wrote:I believe this is an age old question but I don't understand all the possibilities regarding what would cause some of a TV channel to not fit on the TV screen. A classic example is text on the side and the first few letters may not show.

Thanks
With the other suggestions, This happens normally because one of the Zoom modes are on the TV or WMC. Check aspect button or screen format, make sure all Zoom or other features are set as default and also when watching a show in WMC, hit the info button and go over to Zoom and make sure it's set to 1...
STC wrote:If none of the above works try moving two feet closer to the screen.
LOL :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012