Virtualizing Media Center inside Hyper-V

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
BlueScreenOfTOM

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

is gpu virtualization included in server 2016 hyper-v, it isn't included afaik in windows 8.1 pro. Do you use live TV in the hyper-v console at all? I set my VM specifically for extenders so it wasn't a show stopper for me but if I tried opening I get the does not meet system requirements message.
The short answer to this question is I don't know. I'm extender-only, so it doesn't matter much to me.

I do know RemoteFX is a thing though, which I believe allows you to use a physical GPU with a VM. I'm not sure if it's passthrough or GPU virtualization or what... no idea how that works. I also don't know if this is exclusive to Windows Server as the Hypervisor -- some HyperV features are Server-only while others are available in Windows 8.1/10.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that you have to have a certain graphics card to take advantage of RemoteFX. It is weird that your having trouble with EPG123 because it has always worked for me, and I think I even had it in a VM once or twice.

BlueScreenOfTOM

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm

EPG123 was working, but my guide navigation became slow after setting it up. I can't say for sure whether it was EPG123 that was the actual cause of the issue, but the slowness started around this time. When the guide was on screen, pushing the channel-up or channel-down button to get the next page of results often took 2-4 seconds. When there's so many channels to scroll through, this minor annoyance is amplified quite a bit.

I tried enabling/disabling channel logos... that didn't fix it. I tried removing all the "blank" channels from the lineup... no luck there either. Seemed like no matter what I did, the slowness persisted.

All that said, I expect eventually I will move back to EPG123 out of necessity.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Maybe it go slower because your guide is bigger? You could try downloading only a few days of guide data, or cutting out some channels to try and speed things up. How many channels do you have with your cable or OTA?

BlueScreenOfTOM

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm

jachin99 wrote:Maybe it go slower because your guide is bigger? You could try downloading only a few days of guide data, or cutting out some channels to try and speed things up. How many channels do you have with your cable or OTA?
Maybe. I have a couple hundred channels available. But this isn't exactly new, and I never had this issue prior to EPG123. The extra guide data (21 days vs 14?) might have something to do with it, so that's an interesting theory. At any rate, these are things to try if and when I go back to EPG123. For now I'm content on my virtualized WMC instance getting the guide data from MSFT.