Ceton Echo tear down

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
stuppid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Echo tear down

Post by stuppid » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Has anyone disassemble the Echo. My Echo in the kitchen came unplugged from the power cord and when the wife tried to plug it back in the power connector on the board broke off. It looks like it was connected on two pins for the power and I might be able to solder it back on. Any tips on disassembly would be appreciated.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:24 pm

There is a thin plate on the back that you have to pry off to get to the phillips screws at each end. The plate I'm talking about is not the thick part at the seam with the metal case but the shiny inset on the back that has words printed on it. It's very brittle and stuck on with adhesive. So you must be very careful not to bend it very much and work your way all the way around with an exacto knife or something like that. If it does break, no big deal, just the screw holes will be exposed from now on. Like they say, to make an omlet, you have to break a few eggs.

If the USB port can't be repaired, you can always just solder on some wires that hang out, and make your own barrel or audio type connectors.

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks a bunch

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I also asked Ceton if they have a repair service and they offered $99 exchange for a refurbished unit. I will probably go this route.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:14 pm

You are going to pay another $99 AND have to exchange yours? Sounds like a rip-off to me. Why not get an Xbox 360 instead (way better performance plus streaming apps), or find someone to fix yours? I have fixed many issues similar to yours and it is usually very easy.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Xbox is probably too big for the kitchen. But it does seem like you could do better than $99 on eBay or even from one of our members here.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:59 pm

stuppid wrote:Has anyone disassemble the Echo. My Echo in the kitchen came unplugged from the power cord and when the wife tried to plug it back in the power connector on the board broke off. It looks like it was connected on two pins for the power and I might be able to solder it back on. Any tips on disassembly would be appreciated.
I haven't but it looks like someone has.....

http://missingremote.com/review/ceton-e ... a-extender
Attachments
EchoCircuitBoard002.JPG
EchoCircuitBoard.JPG

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 pm

mdavej wrote:Xbox is probably too big for the kitchen. But it does seem like you could do better than $99 on eBay or even from one of our members here.
Ahh, darn reading comprehension......didn't catch the kitchen part.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:16 am

99 for an exchange for a used unit is high i think.

When i bough mine i only paid 79 and 99 for new units from newegg. That was a few years ago and now they should be less with the end to WMC and ECHO's.

Just saying.