One Echo connects, the other one doesn't

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

One Echo connects, the other one doesn't

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 am

The Echos stopped finding their connection. I rebooted the router and the HTPC, and all seemed to work fine. Now, one of the two Echos keeps displaying the message that it can't connect, and giving me an 8-digit code to enter into WMC. However, WMC shows that Echo as ready to use. Also, the network shows that Echo as connected, and pinging the Echo works.

I have made no changes to my configuration, and both Echos had been working for almost 3 years. I'm on the March 20, 2013 beta firmware, and I've been on it since March 21, 2013, without an incident like this. Naturally, the Echo never worked as well as promised, there being occasional glitches over the years, requiring reboots to reset.

If anyone has seen this problem, I'd appreciate his or her insights. As a backup, I bought a used Linksys DMA2100 on eBay tonight, which I may swap out for this Echo.
Dean L. Surkin

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:55 am

This is probably the end of the story: I got a Linksys DMA2100 off of eBay. I plugged it in to the network and my home theater receiver, and it works. In fact, it seems that it's as good or better than the Echo ever was--particularly its responsiveness to an IR remote.
Dean L. Surkin

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 pm

So it's not the end of story. Last night, my other Echo began giving the same message - it's not connected, it displays the 8-digit code to be entered in WMC, but WMC says it's connected.

I tried rebooting my network switch, but it didn't help. I did not yet try the Linksys media extender to see if it was still working.

My wired Roku 3 in the den is working fine, the wireless Roku 3 in the bedroom is having trouble connecting to some channels but not others. I'm beginning to suspect a network problem, but the diagnostics on the network do not show a problem. My router and switch (the switch adds another 8 connections) are six year old (D-link), my in-wall wiring is CAT6 installed by a professional electrician. Do routers and switches wear out that fast?

Once again, I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
Dean L. Surkin

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:42 pm

I assume that you've removed the Echo extenders from within the WMC GUI and then tried to re-pair them?

Maybe a quick reboot of everything before re-pairing is a good idea.

Maybe Double check that the mcx user folders are gone and then try pairing them?

Any recent windows updates?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks, holidayboy. I didn't try deleting the mcx user folders. I'll have time to check this on Sunday, and then I'll post again afterwards.

I don't know of any Windows updates since the last time it worked, though I shouldn't rule out whether anything happened that someone else in the family may have clicked "okay" on. I'll check the computer log.
Dean L. Surkin

Dmordarski

Post by Dmordarski » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Sound to me like your router's DHCP server is reassigning the echo's a different IP address when they are turned back on, forcing a repair with the WMC host. You need to go into the routers DHCP service, and change the echo from a dynamic Ip address to a static and that should fix your problem (then repair if asked), otherwise I would be more then happy to trade you some HP x280ns for your two echos.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:54 am

Dmordarski wrote:Sound to me like your router's DHCP server is reassigning the echo's a different IP address when they are turned back on, forcing a repair with the WMC host.
I like the way you worded that, and I think you might be correct.

Dean, Have you checked your Echo DHCP reservations in the router? Maybe its time to purge the list?