Can HP or any other Extenders work with Ceton PCIe card

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tsellers205jm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can HP or any other Extenders work with Ceton PCIe card

Post by tsellers205jm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello all:

Can any other brand extender work with Ceton PCIe 4 Channel card? There are some nice used HP models for about $20 available. Used Echos seem to be going for $90 - $120. I also have some cold feet with WMC due to its development status.

I assume that any extender with drivers for Windows 7 (version I use on my HTPC) can network to my HTPC. But can I

1. Watch Live TV generated by my Ceton PCI InfiniTV card?

2. Watch recorded program, movies, etc. on the 3rd party extender as long as there is not a DRM issue.

3. Would the addition of any other hardware make #2 possible, if it is not possible with just the HTPC and 3rd part Extender.

I did try to Google this without results. This seems to be the foremost website on WMC and Ceton Info and I have found the answer to other questions here. I have only been involved with WMC when I changed to Charter from Dish after 15 years of being a customer a couple of months ago.

Thanks - Terry

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 pm

To clarify: extenders don't work with the tuner systems. Extenders work with Windows Media Center.

Extenders are, quite literally, extensions of exactly what happens on the WMC computer itself. The extender is literally extending that computer's desktop, in a special way under a second special extender user account. Actually, it's creating an entirely different desktop session on the WMC computer itself--using that computer's resources and security and whatnot--but showing you that desktop session remotely via the extender.

1. um, again, the live TV isn't generated by the Ceton card. It's created by WMC. The answer is yes, any live TV that you can watch on the WMC box, you can watch on an extender.

2. DRM is not an issue at all. Your cableco can put all the DRM they want on the programming; you are entitled to watch it on the WMC computer. And since the extender simply shows you what's happening on the WMC computer, you may watch that same programming from the WMC computer via the extender. Yes.

3. Need more information.

It's way, way, way, way, way simpler than you're thinking. It just works. Get WMC running properly, then add an extender somewhere on your network. Turn it on. Follow the instructions to marry the extender to your WMC box. Takes only a minute. Done. Now watch anything from WMC anywhere you have the extender.

Buy multiple extenders for multiple locations. You can have up to 5 extender sessions running simultaneously.

WMC is really the best damn cable box there ever was.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:17 pm

If you have Win 8.x, the only extender that works well is Xbox. Echo sort of works, but is not practical. Xbox also gives you access to many streaming services, like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc. Others do not. I think your money would be better spent on a used Xbox.

Some older models won't work on Win 7 either, so you have to be careful. I personally haven't seen any extenders under $40. Where are you seeing them for $20? That's an amazing deal.

One other thing to consider with older models is the lack of a few features like Wake-On-LAN. In other words, if your main PC normally sleeps, an older extender will not wake it, but a new one like Echo or Xbox will. If your PC remains on 24x7 then this is not an issue.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Everything said thus far is correct. To me it comes down to: If you want to use a WMC extender that isn't an XBOX, WMC PC needs to be Win7.

I use primarily Xboxes (best but large) but when it comes to 3rd party, I've used HP x280n, Linksys DMA2100s and Ceton Echo just fine.

The x280n was the nicest but two gripes: 1) Largest of all 3 and 2) Using HDMI and FFwding protected shows throws a copy protected error (it shouldn't, but it will never be fixed). If your ISP is protecting their shows, plan to use Component instead of HDMI (or don't ever FFW).

DMA works pretty well- some weirdness occurs if you leave a Live TV stream running all night (with TV off) on our specific TV model; reboot and it's fine. That's the only minor quirk; don't plan on watching any of your movie gallery on it, however.

Ceton Echo - You can get all the info here already... my experience is the buggiest as it locks up a lot; however I use it on TV's with occasional use. Nice small package with WOL (something none of the others have).

Agreed above - extenders under $20 is a great price; stock up.

tsellers205jm

Post by tsellers205jm » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:23 pm

adam1991 wrote:To clarify: extenders don't work with the tuner systems. Extenders work with Windows Media Center.

Extenders are, quite literally, extensions of exactly what happens on the WMC computer itself. The extender is literally extending that computer's desktop, in a special way under a second special extender user account. Actually, it's creating an entirely different desktop session on the WMC computer itself--using that computer's resources and security and whatnot--but showing you that desktop session remotely via the extender.

1. um, again, the live TV isn't generated by the Ceton card. It's created by WMC. The answer is yes, any live TV that you can watch on the WMC box, you can watch on an extender.

2. DRM is not an issue at all. Your cableco can put all the DRM they want on the programming; you are entitled to watch it on the WMC computer. And since the extender simply shows you what's happening on the WMC computer, you may watch that same programming from the WMC computer via the extender. Yes.

3. Need more information.

It's way, way, way, way, way simpler than you're thinking. It just works. Get WMC running properly, then add an extender somewhere on your network. Turn it on. Follow the instructions to marry the extender to your WMC box. Takes only a minute. Done. Now watch anything from WMC anywhere you have the extender.

Buy multiple extenders for multiple locations. You can have up to 5 extender sessions running simultaneously.

WMC is really the best damn cable box there ever was.

Thanks for all the information. That clarifies a lot of things. The way Ceton advertises seems to imply they are the only thing to work on their InfiniTV devices.

BTW, other than Ceton and Xbox 360, what media extenders are or have been made that work for WMC on Windows 7?

tsellers205jm

Post by tsellers205jm » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:27 pm

mdavej wrote:If you have Win 8.x, the only extender that works well is Xbox. Echo sort of works, but is not practical. Xbox also gives you access to many streaming services, like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc. Others do not. I think your money would be better spent on a used Xbox.

Some older models won't work on Win 7 either, so you have to be careful. I personally haven't seen any extenders under $40. Where are you seeing them for $20? That's an amazing deal.

One other thing to consider with older models is the lack of a few features like Wake-On-LAN. In other words, if your main PC normally sleeps, an older extender will not wake it, but a new one like Echo or Xbox will. If your PC remains on 24x7 then this is not an issue.

Thanks for the information. Netflix is discontinuing their add-on for WMC on Sept 15, so will just have to log on through the internet.

Terry

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Linksys DMA2100/DMA2200 and the HP x280n are pretty much the only ones you can find on eBay at a reasonable price.

BTW where did you see Ceton imply the Echo would only work with the infiniTV? It says right at the top of the page "Works with any digital tuner!" http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 pm

tsellers205jm wrote:Netflix is discontinuing their add-on for WMC on Sept 15, so will just have to log on through the internet.
No you won't. That has nothing to do with extenders since they have never been able to run the add-on anyway. Netflix app on Xbox will continue to work outside of WMC indefinitely.

I'd still love to find one of those $20 extenders myself. Do you have a link?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:07 pm

mdavej wrote:
I'd still love to find one of those $20 extenders myself. Do you have a link?
$20 Extenders that work with Windows 7 ? Really ? Sign me up, I'll take 3 of them... Even if they are JUST FOR LIVE TV/RECORDED tv, they would be perfect (I know MKVs will have more issues than 360s)

Didn't HP make some MCE 2005 and Vista extenders ? Don't remember ever seeing a Windows 7 compatible HP extender. As I have seen on ebay, extenders for MCE 2005 go for like $10... as they are worthless if you are using 7 or 8....

This might be what the OP is talking about...

All in all, your best bet for a CHEAP extender is go to your local PAWN shop, pick up a used old white 360 (the IR section on these are better than the slim ones) for $20-40 all day....

I stop in Pawn shops every once and a while, I normally get 3 to 8 week old Xbox one/PS4 games for less than 50% of retail and I have noticed the old 360's going for $25 or so...

Even Gamestop for a older refurbished 360, $40-60

With that being said, if I can get a Extender that has N-Wi-Fi and works pretty well with it for cheap, I would give I a shot..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 pm

HP made extenders for Vista that work with Windows 7 WMC.

HP X280N

Dmordarski

Post by Dmordarski » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:23 pm

HP - x280N Work Well (still own 2 for spares, sometimes have sleep problems and need a restart)
Linksys DMA-2100 or 2200 I think they are slow (own and sold 1)
Dlink -DSM-750 Best Wifi performance (had 2, one broke, sold other)
ceton- Echo I have no problems with 4 other then one stuck on beta software (need to be a dynamic IP in routers DCHP server)
microsoft -Xbox I have one, think is louder and power hungry rather use the echos