Just bought another Echo $99 on Amazon

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
stuppid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Just bought another Echo $99 on Amazon

Post by stuppid » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:26 pm

I just cant help myself sometimes. Every time I see them for $99 I have to buy another one. I have three currently in use and another three as backups. I am trying to future proof myself as much as I can. I will probably buy at least one more before I am done. I just cant live with a larger box at each TV location, plus Brighthouse does not have a whole house DVR yet. Satellite is not an option at the moment as I need to get SNLA for Dodger games. I only use my HTPC for its intended purpose and for Netflix, Amazon, HBOgo, and Hulu so everything runs pretty well almost all of the time. I also use the Echos for music and DVD's ripped to DVR-MS so I don't have a lot of the problems that a lot of other folks have. I also don't have any 1080p content or televisions for that matter. My network is pretty solid except for my WIFI but oh well.

What I am wondering is should I unbox my unused Echos and update the firmware on them and the re-box for storage? What are the chances that Ceton will eliminate the update servers in the future? I guess my idea is to purchase enough equipment while it is still available to get me many years down the road. I currently run a PCI 4 tuner card and while it is enough for me I may buy a 6 just to keep around in case my other craps out. My only worries are that Cable Card will go away or that MS will stop supporting guide data.

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:44 pm

you never really know when this might all go away, But I also have a few backup items. 1 echo, my retired infinity 4, and a mirror image hard drive for my main HTPC. I think that i would save your working echos and but the new ones in service just to be sure everything is ok and you can deal with problems under warranty

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

stuppid wrote:I just cant help myself sometimes. Every time I see them for $99 I have to buy another one. I have three currently in use and another three as backups. I am trying to future proof myself as much as I can. I will probably buy at least one more before I am done. I just cant live with a larger box at each TV location, plus Brighthouse does not have a whole house DVR yet. Satellite is not an option at the moment as I need to get SNLA for Dodger games. I only use my HTPC for its intended purpose and for Netflix, Amazon, HBOgo, and Hulu so everything runs pretty well almost all of the time. I also use the Echos for music and DVD's ripped to DVR-MS so I don't have a lot of the problems that a lot of other folks have. I also don't have any 1080p content or televisions for that matter. My network is pretty solid except for my WIFI but oh well.

What I am wondering is should I unbox my unused Echos and update the firmware on them and the re-box for storage? What are the chances that Ceton will eliminate the update servers in the future? I guess my idea is to purchase enough equipment while it is still available to get me many years down the road. I currently run a PCI 4 tuner card and while it is enough for me I may buy a 6 just to keep around in case my other craps out. My only worries are that Cable Card will go away or that MS will stop supporting guide data.
Newegg has it for $89 right now if you want to try and have Amazon price match.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Wouldn't you figure. I just got my $89 Echo from Newegg and it's dead. No network connectivity and no video output.

Merry Christmas.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Shirley you're still in the return window, if not, seems like a pretty clear RMA case

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Yup, already have the RMA. I'm just disappointed that it will be into January before I get the replacement.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

RyC wrote:Shirley you're still in the return window, if not, seems like a pretty clear RMA case
Just don't call him Shirley!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:57 am

makryger wrote:
RyC wrote:Shirley you're still in the return window, if not, seems like a pretty clear RMA case
Just don't call him Shirley!
Roger, Roger.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:14 am

Under Oveur, Oveur Dunn.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

tombardo

Post by tombardo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:33 pm

mldenison wrote:Wouldn't you figure. I just got my $89 Echo from Newegg and it's dead. No network connectivity and no video output.

Merry Christmas.

I got the same deal from Newegg and just tried to connect it this weekend. Mine is dead too. Ceton support suggested recovery, but I'm just going to RMA it.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Ugh! I don't understand all this DOA stuff. I got one 2 months ago and it wouldn't update. Come on!!! Seriously!!!

I'm also still waiting to see the next move by Ceton. I had figured they would have slowly lowered the quarterly $99 sale price and Echo's would be selling for less than $60 by now to sell off the remaining units after the Android fiasco! However it appears they are still making new ones.

I also felt that "spare equipment = good idea" for the long haul... But now with the guide update issues I'm seeing... I wonder about that strategy!

Lastly, I moved to an HTPC to save money while enjoying all the benfits of a highly configurable system and interface. I know I have saved more than my investment so I'm happy.

jasondeanny

Post by jasondeanny » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Intel appears to be releasing a new device called the Intel Compute Stick.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... stick.html

With a $89 price tag for a Linux loaded stick and $149 for a Windows 8.1, you're hitting the target form factor and price points that the Echo originally had (minus Ethernet jack and the IR remote and receiver). With a modern device such as this, wouldn't it be great if somehow they squeezed WMC onto it? Ceton should jump on these devices and get back to that dusty drawing board. Maybe they should just release the software to the open source community and let someone come up with the best solution. Ceton could just sell the tuners... come up with a 4K version next.

My Echo was buggy at best but as previous posters stated - I don't want a full PC or Xbox at every TV. I'd spend the $89 on more Echos if they just worked as promised.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:39 pm

tombardo wrote:
mldenison wrote:Wouldn't you figure. I just got my $89 Echo from Newegg and it's dead. No network connectivity and no video output.

Merry Christmas.

I got the same deal from Newegg and just tried to connect it this weekend. Mine is dead too. Ceton support suggested recovery, but I'm just going to RMA it.
Good luck with your RMA.

Mine finally got back to NewEgg on 1/8.

Today, I get an email from them:

Unfortunately, the below item#15-706-003, MEDIA CENTER CETON|6100-MCX R is not recognized by our system because the serial number is missing. Removal of the serial number automatically voids any Standard Warranty.

I'll be calling them shortly. I believe the serial number is on the box. Neither of my other two Echo's have a serial number on them.

Sparky19053

Post by Sparky19053 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 am

I just check one of my four Echo's in service. No serial numbers on the outside of the units.
Some talented people in the workplace these days.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 am

Thanks, Sparky

After talking with the NewEgg rep, he did some checking and agreed to send me a replacement unit. He said they'll be checking with the manufacturer to validate my statement that the serial number is on the box, not the unit. This will 'ensure future returns from customers won't be denied RMA's because of missing serial numbers'.

If it weren't for their occasional good prices on hardware, I'd shop elsewhere. I've had a few issues with them in the past.

McGary

Post by McGary » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:14 pm

I gather from the fact you guys seem to be buying extras for spares that you're happy with the Echo as an extender. I definitely like the size relative to an X-Box 360, but had read some pretty bad reviews on the Echo. If it's used purely for live and recorded TV, does it work well (and RELIABLY) ??

Also, how often is it on sale for < $100 ?? It's $179 at Newegg, Amazon, etc. right now, but it'd definitely be attractive at an under $100 price point.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 pm

For TV only, it's a superb unit--if it's hooked to a modern TV with good electronics.

I had a 6 or 7 year old cheapo Sanyo that it wouldn't work with.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Yes mine work without issue as a basic extender (live and recorded TV), I might add that i have no problems with photos and music.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:45 pm

100% reliable for live/recorded TV for me. I have a NUC with Kodi for movies and everything else (and I personally think Kodi does a better job managing those than WMC anyway).

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 am

For those who have followed this unit for a while, how often does it go on sale? Everybody seems to want full retail ($179) right now ... but from the posts in this thread it sounds like it's occasionally available for $100 or a bit more. Is this every few months? ... once a year? ... or were those special sales that you don't anticipate being repeated.