No audio starting live TV

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
nick

HTPC Specs: Show details

No audio starting live TV

Post by nick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:54 pm

I've been dealing with this issue for several firmware versions. I submitted a new ticket to track with Ceton support. I'm curious if anyone else has similar problems?

Frequently (>50%) when starting live TV (either from a clean boot or just pressing stop and play) there will be no audio. I can eventually get sound to play once again if I continue to cycle stopping and replaying live TV or by changing channels.

Here's a video: http://youtu.be/-73-2NHB2DQ

I'm using all of the Echo's included cables (HDMI, power, Ethernet) and connected to the same switch as the HTPC and 360. Firmware is Version 2013.320.1349 but I've had this same problem for at least a few prior versions.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Try disabling fast boot if you are on windows 8 on the htpc.
The partial hybernation file that it creates tries to save tuner states
and can cause problems.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/63 ... s-8-a.html

nick

Post by nick » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:32 pm

leroys1000 wrote:Try disabling fast boot if you are on windows 8 on the HTPC.
Thanks but my HTPC is win 7 and is not set to hibernate.

I can also swap out the Echo with the 360 and the problem follows the Echo.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:59 am

Yes, I experience this problem as well. I usually press the skip back button a few seconds and hit play and it resumes. Just one of the many annoying features of the echo that doesn't seem likely to ever be fixed.

nick

Post by nick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 pm

I've been working closely with Ceton support over the past few weeks. They helped thoroughly review logs and attempt to resolve this issue.

After troubleshooting it appears to be a problem between the Echo and the TV (Sharp LC-32SB28UT) it is connected to via HDMI. I was able to verify that this problem did not occur on 2 other TVs. I've also tried swapping out individual components. Once it's connected to the original TV it's fairly reproducible.

I'm not sure if another Echo would have the same problem or if I had another version of the same TV to try. I just know that this Echo and this TV seem to have a handshaking problem. The TV is OK with my 360 and the Echo is OK with other TVs.

It does sound like they have plans for continued support of the Echo so I'm satisfied. They were also very professional and patient with support. I've never seen a company take this amount of effort to help diagnosis a problem.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:46 am

nick wrote:I've been dealing with this issue for several firmware versions. I submitted a new ticket to track with Ceton support. I'm curious if anyone else has similar problems?

Frequently (>50%) when starting live TV (either from a clean boot or just pressing stop and play) there will be no audio. I can eventually get sound to play once again if I continue to cycle stopping and replaying live TV or by changing channels
I had something similar, but I had sound and no video. After bringing my Yamaha YSP-2200 in to have a new circuit board installed under warranty, and swapping out wires, I finally tried it with a different TV, and it worked. My TV was a 9-year old Panasonic, 26LX20. When I replaced the TV with a new one (LG 39LN5300) it started working reliably, without needing to cycle the power.

This was something I had never seen before: an older TV losing its ability to handshake HDMI.
Dean L. Surkin

sjscarlata

Post by sjscarlata » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:17 am

Hi, I also have the same issue. Sound is fine playing a video until I hit skip or FF, then about a 50% chance it goes away.
Backing up a bit or cycling pause tends to bring it back.
TV is a new vizio 47". It does seem that it might be related to HDMI. Will do more testing.
Steve

Polen

Post by Polen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 am

I'm having this same issue with the Echo and also have a ticket open with Ceton. I have 3 Echos on 3 different types of TVs and all of them have this audio problem, but this problem for me only happens on CableCard channels that have the copyonce protection. All other channels are fine. I currently only have 4 channels that are copyonce protected. My 360 does not have this problem.

Most of the time I have to turn the Echo off then on to get the sound back. I think the Echo is having problems with the Digital Content Protection (HDCP). If I don't skip then all is good.

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:02 pm

I suppose there has been no resolution for this issue?

I experience it on multiple TVs; so far I've seen it happen on Panasonic, Vizio and Sony TVs. But it does not occur on an LG.
Never occurs with XBox 360 on those same TVs, using the same cables.
When I swap different HDMI cable types & lengths, it does seem to impact the likelihood of occurring.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:11 pm

I just started having audio issues on my echo. It makes a popping sound. Hmmmm....