Echo & Android Update

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
shortcut3d

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:32 am

Please improve the base firmware. Stability, picture quality, 1080p support, MP4 H.264 support, etc. 320 was going in the right direction.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:54 am

I wonder if developing a new extender (e.g., an Echo rev2) is even an option for Ceton at this point. Many months ago they implied it took a great effort to a license from Microsoft to release the Echo, since the extender program is now over.

nick

Post by nick » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:07 am

I'd send mine in to get updated or exchange for rev2 if there was an option.

So how about some good news; Could we get an updated firmware? Increase stability? Bug fixes?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:12 am

Motz,

I feel for y'all and Ceton.

For my part, I had no interest in the android interface. I wanted the Echo for recorded TV, live TV and the occasional ripped DVD. Both of my Echos have worked pretty well for these tasks.

My wife has pretty much gotten to where she doesn't use them any more for these reasons:

1) I've never had any luck using a remote IR receiver with one of my Echos where I need one. My wife really hates having to push and repush remote buttons to control the Echo. The little Comcast digital adapter works just fine with the remote and it's nearly in the same location, which is why it's her preferred device.

2) The boot up time when the Echo is first powered on is bothersome. If I leave it on, and the HTPC is shut down, then repowered in the morning occasionally causes me to have to toggle power to the Echo.

If #1 could be addressed, I think she could live with #2.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:21 am

mldenison wrote:Motz,

I feel for y'all and Ceton.

For my part, I had no interest in the android interface. I wanted the Echo for recorded TV, live TV and the occasional ripped DVD. Both of my Echos have worked pretty well for these tasks.

2) The boot up time when the Echo is first powered on is bothersome. If I leave it on, and the HTPC is shut down, then repowered in the morning occasionally causes me to have to toggle power to the Echo.
Agree with the above.

If I could just a stable extender that booted faster and was able to play our ripped blu-rays in x264, I'd be ok.

I hope that HW issue isn't the reason we haven't seen an update to the base Echo firmware since March though.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:31 am

carljanderson wrote: I hope that HW issue isn't the reason we haven't seen an update to the base Echo firmware since March though.
No the HW issue only pertains to the upgrade scenario from WMC to Android base. Like the post said it does not effect current Echo firmware and would not have any impact at all on future firmware updates in the current WMC Extender framework.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

tad

Post by tad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:32 am

I have to say - I didn't expect Ceton to COMPLETELY flub this one.

I bought two Echos and hung onto them through the extended return cycle amidst promises of android upgrades and performance improvements. As it stands, they are both "barely" functional as media center extenders. I never would have hung onto them if I knew Ceton would cease all support and updates.

I want to return mine. Will Ceton honor late returns/refunds for those of us who have been strung along for the past 9 months?

tad

Post by tad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 am

Motz wrote:
carljanderson wrote: I hope that HW issue isn't the reason we haven't seen an update to the base Echo firmware since March though.
No the HW issue only pertains to the upgrade scenario from WMC to Android base. Like the post said it does not effect current Echo firmware and would not have any impact at all on future firmware updates in the current WMC Extender framework.
What "future firmware updates"?? We have been waiting since March and haven't seen a single update to address the myriad stability/quality issues! Is Ceton going to provide regular updates now or is the Echo completely dead?

We are entitled to a straight answer - minus the bullshit.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:38 am

Motz wrote:No the HW issue only pertains to the upgrade scenario from WMC to Android base. Like the post said it does not effect current Echo firmware and would not have any impact at all on future firmware updates in the current WMC Extender framework.
That's exceptionally peculiar. Sounds like you don't have a robust bootstrap process.

I feel for the development team who've worked so hard on this. As a customer I'm also quite upset that I have two 'bricks'.

If there's any way for the upgrade process to be done in house, for say, a nominal 'Android Experience Upgrade Fee' I'd be in for it. Say $20 per unit + shipping? I don't recall if there was a way to do in circuit programming when I had the little board out of the case though. If that was possible sign me up for the beta or whatever you're working on next. If not... it's probably my last go-round with Ceton unfortunately.

tad

Post by tad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 am

haydongreenbutton wrote:
Motz wrote:No the HW issue only pertains to the upgrade scenario from WMC to Android base. Like the post said it does not effect current Echo firmware and would not have any impact at all on future firmware updates in the current WMC Extender framework.
That's exceptionally peculiar. Sounds like you don't have a robust bootstrap process.

I feel for the development team who've worked so hard on this. As a customer I'm also quite upset that I have two 'bricks'.

If there's any way for the upgrade process to be done in house, for say, a nominal 'Android Experience Upgrade Fee' I'd be in for it. Say $20 per unit + shipping? I don't recall if there was a way to do in circuit programming when I had the little board out of the case though. If that was possible sign me up for the beta or whatever you're working on next. If not... it's probably my last go-round with Ceton unfortunately.
I'm not giving Ceton another dime. And I doubt anyone else will either.

I feel for their development team - I really do (I've been there) - but at the end of the day, it's the product you've delivered that matters. Sink or swim. You guys have sunk.
Last edited by tad on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:54 am

tad wrote:I'm not paying a damn dime more. And I doubt anyone else will either.
I appreciate the sentiment - I'm there too. But that's not a practical expectation.

The additional features that Android would bring are worth something. I know, everyone feels that Ceton 'owes them' for this experience but I didn't expect or pay for Android. A small fee on top of what I already spent to bring the Echos from the dead would be worth it to me.

It sounds like Ceton might be going back to address some of the issues with the Windows platform now. I'm sure that's got to be bumming them out. But it'd give the 'not a penny more' crowd satisfaction. Obviously the satisfaction would have been a lot sweeter if it came a long time ago!

re: Purely a hardware issue - well again - that's super peculiar. I can't imagine too many scenarios where it'd be impossible to reprogram a device so the next time it's booted it came up with a totally new personality. Even if it required a hard reset (pull plug, plug in) due to drivers that mess up the internal state of a chip.

mariob33

Post by mariob33 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 am

Where is sammy2? He has been waiting on this android savior for years..someone needs to phone his home,text him or something.. He may have chosen alternatives which could pose safety issusee to his body...

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:18 am

Wow, this is terrible news... I mean, damn, that's a basically 10 months of development down the drain for Ceton as a company - the kind of stuff that sinks companies. Hopefully Ceton can recover. I wonder if Ceton has some sort of legal recourse with the third party (which I assume is freescale)?

Selfishly, totally sucks. I would like to know if we'll see anymore enhancements...or if the Echo has now gone the way of the DMA, HPx280n, etc.

tad

Post by tad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:29 am

grinchy wrote:Selfishly, totally sucks. I would like to know if we'll see anymore enhancements...or if the Echo has now gone the way of the DMA, HPx280n, etc.
We need to stop dreaming here. If we don't hear from Ceton with concrete info about pending updates within a week to address the stability issues... Echo is dead, and so is Windows Media Center. This is just the last nail in the coffin - I hate to say it, I really do.

I'll be checking out my buddy's tivo this weekend. *tear*

CrazyCanuck

Post by CrazyCanuck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:31 am

I couldn't care less about Android on my echo.
Maybe now us regular extender people can get a firmware update.

Just please fix the current bugs like ridiculously choppy mp4/x264.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 am

I had posted this in the State of the Echo 3 thread a few days ago:
"The Ceton employees seem like nice guys, but I just don't think as a company they are technically capable of pulling off what they have promised. They had great ideas for the extender, but they made horrible choices in selecting hardware woefully under-powered for the task. Since then, their software team has proven incapable/incompetent for the task of trying to get this hardware to do much of what they promised. It is very clear by now that Ceton just doesn't have the expertise or the resources to get this working in a timely manner (or maybe ever). And now they don't even have the guts/courtesy to keep their customers updated on their lack of progress."

Looks like I was pretty much completely accurate. Ceton is a company of nice guys and big ideas, but no expertise to make those ideas reality.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:59 am

reggie14 wrote:I wonder if developing a new extender (e.g., an Echo rev2) is even an option for Ceton at this point. Many months ago they implied it took a great effort to a license from Microsoft to release the Echo, since the extender program is now over.
I doubt they have the resources to pull it off even if they wanted to and Microsoft would allow it.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:02 am

So let's summarize here for the heck of it:

1) Ceton announces two devices in the works that get us all hot and bothered and showcase them at CES. The Q and the Echo.

2) Ceton pulls the plug on the Q

3) Ceton released the Echo with promises of adding android functionality and windows 8 compatibility.

4) Ceton pulls the plug on android and effectively kills windows 8 compatibility.

Ceton, you realize your reputation is ruined right?

SMH :(

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:07 am

Motz wrote:...in a great looking, small, silent device that consumes a fraction of the electricity used by other extenders and set-top boxes.
The main problem with the Echo is that Ceton focused on: great looking, small, silent, low power.
You should have focused only on "powerful enough to display smooth 1080p video, silent, and technically capable of supporting the features we want to add".

Who cares if the box is twice as big or it uses 10W of power instead of 5W? I would have much preferred an Echo the size of the original prototype shown by Ceton if it meant it housed hardware which could actually do everything promised.
Last edited by ucfknight on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:13 am

They cut corners in development. They chose cheap hardware that would inflate their profit margin at the expense of the end user. This was obvious at release but... they promised us upgrades. They teased us with tid bits of info and seduced us into buying a product that they have now effectively given up on. Nice guys? Big ideas? We all drank the koolaid it seems. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying their intentions were cynical, but at the end of the day, they exploited us plain and simple. They should be held accountable for that.