Echo & Android Update

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ajhieb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Then it's a good thing nobody said it.

Why, if no one said it, did you put quotes around it as if you're quoting someone?

Nobody said, ""So what Ceton brought to the table was the only brand new extender that one could buy?".
Because it's the only variation of your crappy argument that would make any sense from a logical standpoint, even if false.
adam1991 wrote:It's factual. How does your argument make the fact "stupid"? You seem to be saying, "Since Ford is a viable alternative right now, Chevy being on the market is stupid." And you know what that is? Stupid.
No, what I'm saying is that since Ford already has a better product at a competitive price point, I see no reason to get excited about Chevy releasing an inferior product. Why is that so hard for you to understand.

you act like Ceton is doing us some favor by overcharging us for an inferior product. That's stupid.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 pm

So...just before things go flame-o-matic I'd like to ask everyone to keep biting their bottom lip. Nod, shake hands, pats on the back, express opinions without malice, things like that.

Please and thank you.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:47 pm

soccerdad wrote:Some have been saying Ceton is the only company supporting WMC. Actually Hauppauge and Silicon Dust do a really good job of supplying hardware that works. No, they don't have extenders, but at this time, with the price point of the Echo, neither does Ceton....
With the size and power consumption of the XBox, one could say that neither does Microsoft have an extender.

I hate it for Ceton, but I just don't get why they even put it out there that they were developing Android.
Because they had no idea (a) it would fail, and (b) that if it failed they would be spanked so hard for trying. Somehow, they thought that the community--being fairly small and tight--would understand.

They were wrong, of course, because the "community" is apparently nothing but rabid wolves with the temperament of a spoiled five year old.

They tried, and decided to share what they were trying. Let no good deed go unpunished.

And I repeat: let those of you whining about this tell us all about the things like this that you've tried to accomplish, regardless of the outcome.

The only plausible explanation is that they were trying to keep the hook in people and not get a bunch of them back.
That's the "only plausible explanation"? Really?

My Echo works for the basic stuff. It is not a brick, but it is a bad taste in my mouth.
Had they said nothing at all about Android, you would have been perfectly happy with your non-brick, functioning Echo. The only reason you have a "bad taste" in your mouth is because you decided--YOU decided, on your own--to get all worked up like a kid at Thanksgiving, waiting for Christmas to get here, instead of acting like a rational adult that knows that nothing about this Android thing was ever real despite Ceton saying "look what we're working on". And it was never going to be real until you hold it in your hand.

Is this the first time you've been disappointed? Are you somehow entitled to whatever someone says *might* happen down the road?

Would you have felt any differently had the company had some horrible situation happen--say, everyone died in a horrible plane crash? Would you be here similarly, demanding that whatever is left of Ceton deliver the Android functionality, because by God you got all worked up about it like a kid at Christmas?

I am glad that Hauppauge and Silicon Dust are still players. I am not sure how long Ceton will be. And why is it again that we have special Ceton boards on TGB?
Ah, how the villagers have turned--from community-oriented well-wishers to torch-bearing demanders of gratification or else.

Why is it again we bother to have a community at all? Just shut down TGB.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 pm

ajhieb wrote:
adam1991 wrote:
acraigl wrote:Seriously? No advantage over tech that is 7 years old and you're satisfied? You gotta be kidding! Hope you're enjoying WebTV.
Besides, my DMA's are working fine. If parity was the expectation, I'd be $179 dollars richer and have less frustration. And parity took a while.
Given that WMC hasn't changed a bit over the last 7 years, then having an extender that hasn't changed isn't a big deal at all.

Your DMAs are working fine; others might want to buy DMAs but can't. But they can buy an Echo...
They can also buy a 360. That works a lot better. Don't forget the 360. You seem to always ignore the 360. What I'm trying to say is, the 360 is also a viable alternative too.
I don't deny that.

Should the fact that the XBox is on the market today, mean Ceton shouldn't sell the Echo at all?

Actually, it almost sounds like many are saying that Ceton shouldn't even be allowed to sell the Echo. To anyone who thinks that, I recommend a Business 101 course at the local community college.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:51 pm

STC wrote:So...just before things go flame-o-matic I'd like to ask everyone to keep biting their bottom lip. Nod, shake hands, pats on the back, express opinions without malice, things like that.

Please and thank you.
I'm more than happy to keep things civil, but I don't appreciate being repeatedly told that I'm supposed to be super dee duper excited about Ceton's repeated mishandling of the Echo, by the same group of people that seem to think that becasue they don't find any problem with anything, neither should anybody else.

We get it. You guys like the Echo. you're happy with it. you love ceton and want to take them to prom. We get it. Not everyone feels the same way as you and no matter how much you want to try and convince everyone else to jump on the "I <3 Ceton" bandwagon we aren't going to change our minds.

If you don't like to see people complaining about the Echo, stop reading Echo threads. You know what is in this thread. You know there is nothing useful to be learned in this thread. You know it's a bunch of people venting, so why are you here? What's your motive for trying to convince everyone to be content with the terrible treatment they've received?

You're fighting a battle that you cannot win.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:52 pm

ajhieb wrote:No, what I'm saying is that since Ford already has a better product at a competitive price point, I see no reason to get excited about Chevy releasing an inferior product. Why is that so hard for you to understand.

How is the Echo inferior to the XBox?

you act like Ceton is doing us some favor by overcharging us for an inferior product. That's stupid.
I'm simply defending Ceton's right to bring a competitive extender to the market, the market that otherwise is void of any competition to XBox.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 pm

adam1991 wrote:I'm simply defending Ceton's right to bring a competitive extender to the market, the market that otherwise is void of any competition to XBox.
Nobody, I repeat, nobody, is attacking Ceton's right to bring a product to market. They're attacking the crappy execution from Ceton when doing so. If you can't understand the difference, there is no point in continuing this conversation.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 pm

ajhieb wrote:I'm more than happy to keep things civil, but I don't appreciate being repeatedly told that I'm supposed to be super dee duper excited about Ceton's repeated mishandling of the Echo, by the same group of people that seem to think that becasue they don't find any problem with anything, neither should anybody else.
Umm, saying that you should have taken what you had in your hand at face value and taken any promises with a grain of salt, is WAY WAY different than telling you that you're "supposed to be super dee duper excited" about anything.

Is like really that black and white to you? If it's not A, then it must be 180 degrees the opposite, anti-A?

We get it. You guys like the Echo. you're happy with it. you love ceton and want to take them to prom. We get it.
No, you don't get it. No one has ever said that.

But I *will* preach that what you got in your hands was real, and that anything Ceton ever promised was nothing but smoke--and any expectations you ramped yourself up with about that are YOUR doing. And any disappointment you feel in what the Echo is or isn't as a result of those expectations is YOUR doing, not Ceton's.

If you believe everything any software company tells you, you are going to have a crappy life. Listening to such hyped up smoke, and letting it control your emotions, will lead to disappointment more often than not.
If you don't like to see people complaining about the Echo, stop reading Echo threads. You know what is in this thread. You know there is nothing useful to be learned in this thread. You know it's a bunch of people venting, so why are you here? What's your motive for trying to convince everyone to be content with the terrible treatment they've received?

You're fighting a battle that you cannot win.
If you don't like to see people pointing out what a mistake you made by investing so much of your emotional life in what Ceton talked about with regard to adding Android to the Echo, then stop reading this thread right now. What is your motive for trying to convince everyone that believing the promises of a press release means you're automatically entitled to what they said they're working on?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:04 pm

ajhieb wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I'm simply defending Ceton's right to bring a competitive extender to the market, the market that otherwise is void of any competition to XBox.
Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY, is attacking Ceton's right to bring a product to market. They're attacking the crappy execution from Ceton when doing so. If you can't understand the difference, there is no point in continuing this conversation.
That certainly wasn't the sentiment in the message I originally responded to. The sentiment was that because XBox exists, Ceton shouldn't do Echo as it is today. Period.

And that's just plain wrong, spewed by those who think that Ceton should be burned at the stake.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Sooo anyways... anyone think there will be a price drop? :)

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:29 pm

adam1991 wrote:No, you don't get it. No one has ever said that.

But I *will* preach that what you got in your hands was real, and that anything Ceton ever promised was nothing but smoke--and any expectations you ramped yourself up with about that are YOUR doing. And any disappointment you feel in what the Echo is or isn't as a result of those expectations is YOUR doing, not Ceton's.
First of all, my expectations were for a modern, functional, stable extender. I couldn't have cared less about Android except that is was delaying progress on the things I did care about. Second of all, Any expectations people had was based on what Ceton told them. Ceton lead them to those expectations. They didn't just materialize out of thin air (with a few exceptions) but those expectations based on what Ceton said, in a blog, press release, forum posting, or tweet are absolutely Ceton's doing. To argue otherwise is a level of idiocy I'm not equipped to deal with.
That certainly wasn't the sentiment in the message I originally responded to. The sentiment was that because XBox exists, Ceton shouldn't do Echo as it is today. Period.

And that's just plain wrong, spewed by those who think that Ceton should be burned at the stake.
Stop moving the goal posts.

You keep changing your argument. First you're arguing about Ceton's right to release a product, (I can quote you directly on that if you'd like. Would you like me to quote you directly on that?) Then you change your argument to if they should or shouldn't do it. (two very different ideas)

As I said before, Ceton absolutely has the right to release the Echo. No one has said otherwise (even though you felt the need to argue that point against no one, evidently, again, I can quote you directly if you'd like)

Should they release the Echo? Well, that's different. It would appear that releasing an inferior product that isn't significantly cheaper than the competition would be a bad idea. It would also appear that promising more than they could deliver was also a bad idea. It would also appear that going silent while underdelivering would also be a bad idea. Should they have done it? I don't really have the final word on that, but I bet if you ask the Ceton folks if they should have done it the way they did, I bet they tell you "no." Would you like to take that bet?

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm getting really fed up of editing CAPS posts. Please stop using caps. We can all hear you just fine.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:33 pm

At this point this is pointless.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:42 pm

STC wrote:CAPS posts.
Chill out dude. You don't have to yell.

And if you're really editing posts for all caps, you've got a lot of catching up to do since this thread is riddled with it.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow-- I seem to recall similar conversation over in the SageTV world on one of their older extenders... and then they were bought by Google.

Any chance Ceton gets bought by Microsoft to incorporate their InfiniTV tuner technology into their XBOX One-2016 Edition? :shock:

It's just sad all around. Streaming the big, common apps, bluray, cablecards, extenders... It just seems to logical to do it all in one device and thus means, it'll never happen. :(
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Can Motz or someone else at least shed some light on if and or when a new f/w release will be out. This is exactly why I was mad about android in the first place. Get the current echo f/w working as an extender first. Well 6 months later we are still waiting. Should we expect a quick turnaround on f/w releases now like we were getting before the a(ndroid)-hole detour?

BTW I think it was pretty poor to drop this bomb without a f/w upgrade to go with it. We've waited long enough what would be another week for a f/w upgrade?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 pm

ajhieb wrote:

And if you're really editing posts for all caps, you've got a lot of catching up to do since this thread is riddled with it.
Enough already. Staff have asked politely. Behave, or go home.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:02 pm

holidayboy wrote:
ajhieb wrote:

Enough already. Staff have asked politely. Behave, or go home.
i've been polite. what was rude? i was trying to bring a little levity to a thread full of angry people. do i really have to include a smiley face every time i make a joke?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Nobody's moving any goal posts, and I've never changed my argument.
ajhieb wrote:Second of all, Any expectations people had was based on what Ceton told them. Ceton lead them to those expectations. They didn't just materialize out of thin air (with a few exceptions) but those expectations based on what Ceton said, in a blog, press release, forum posting, or tweet are absolutely Ceton's doing. To argue otherwise is a level of idiocy I'm not equipped to deal with.
What I've been saying all along is that to have those expectations is a level of idiocy I can't comprehend. You seem to believe that to have the expectations in the first place is perfectly rational.

The Echo was what it was. Ceton said it would become something else; to believe that and invest yourself emotionally in that is ludicrous. Cash talks, BS walks--and the *only* thing you should ever expect is what you have in hand. What's that saying? Wish in one hand, crap in the other--what do you really have?
Should they release the Echo? Well, that's different. It would appear that releasing an inferior product that isn't significantly cheaper than the competition would be a bad idea. It would also appear that promising more than they could deliver was also a bad idea. It would also appear that going silent while underdelivering would also be a bad idea. Should they have done it? I don't really have the final word on that, but I bet if you ask the Ceton folks if they should have done it the way they did, I bet they tell you "no." Would you like to take that bet?
I would take the bet that no matter what Ceton did, they would end up in this same place, with the villagers all torched up and demanding whatever. I say that because the villagers apparently have zero tolerance for anything.

It's an interesting world these villagers live in.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Sorry, I guess we've all had a bad day, peace and long life to all. :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.