Thinking of switching from WMC/ETH to Plex/Prime

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
smassey22180

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thinking of switching from WMC/ETH to Plex/Prime

Post by smassey22180 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:37 pm

My wife brought home a new WebOS tv the other day. She wants to set it up headless and use the Plex app. We have been using an ETH6 with 2 W8 WMC PCs for 3+ years now. Tuner issues happen weekly and I will not miss the ETH6. If I rebuild my 2 W8/WMC PCs as Win 10/Plex will I be disappointed? I have ordered a HDhomerun Prime to play around with. 3 tuners will be fine for us. Teenagers don't DVR as often as younger kids.

Another advantage of switching from W8 to W10 is my son can turn the PC into a gaming rig. Plus the performance and security advantages of W10.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:46 am

Much depends on whether you have copy protected channels you want to view/record. Only WMC can do that. Otherwise Plex may work fine for you.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 pm

I recently added Plex server to my WMC HTPC. There's no way I would completely convert to Plex alone, yet. WMC still wins for grid-guide, near-real-time TV (pause-n-play), live TV viewing and DRM channels (HBO). Plex DVR is not there yet, IMHO. If you simply add Plex to your existing set up you can try it out, and back off to WMC any time. Plex is nice for the wide variety of play-back devices it supports. I'm hoping it will be our WMC replacement, eventually.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. Good info. My ebay Prime showed up yesterday. I switched 2 WMC PCs to the new tuners in less than 30 minutes. Channels switch about twice as fast on the Prime when compared to the ETH6. Even the setup in WMC was significantly faster than the ETH6. No hangs or delays.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm

DrSmith wrote:I recently added Plex server to my WMC HTPC. There's no way I would completely convert to Plex alone, yet. WMC still wins for grid-guide, near-real-time TV (pause-n-play), live TV viewing and DRM channels (HBO). Plex DVR is not there yet, IMHO. If you simply add Plex to your existing set up you can try it out, and back off to WMC any time. Plex is nice for the wide variety of play-back devices it supports. I'm hoping it will be our WMC replacement, eventually.

You were not kidding. I got Plex installed and it is basically a VCR. They need to spend less on marketing and more on development. Live TV is only supported on IOS and Android so no Webos for my new TV.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Look into EMBY, its live TV is way more developed than plex. And its app development is fast catching up.