A mistake switching from an HDHR to an infiniTV 6 ETH

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
blushrts

HTPC Specs: Show details

A mistake switching from an HDHR to an infiniTV 6 ETH

Post by blushrts » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 am

What a mistake I made. Wanted to save a few bucks so I've sold one of my 2 Hd homeruns and I bought a ceton infinitv ETH 6. So far I've missed a bunch of recordings as the tuner disappears every few days. Never had a problem with the silicon dust tuners.

My parents also bought one awaiting my installation, I'm telling them to send it back.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:17 am

My Ceton Eth6 runs just as well as my HDHR Prime. However when I did switch over to Ceton Eth 6 I did notice the cable signal strength was not as strong as using HDHR Prime for some reason. I added an amplifier to get my signal between the ranges of -1db to +4db and haven't had any issues. I also have a usb fan to keep my tuner cool. I stayed with the stable firmware versions. Its been running rock solid.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Words to live by. Woke up this morning to no signal messages. Back to silicondust.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm

It would probably help a little if you mentioned provider, card type, and whether or not a TA is used and also mention if you are sharing/pooling the tuners or if it is dedicated to one PC (an extender is considered part of that PC, not a separate device, but network traffic can also have an effect on a network tuner).

I tend to find the latest beta firmware breaks everything with a cisco cablecard with the latest NDS fixes (which I could care less about, any firmware that has mentioned NDS fixes seems to hurt regular cisco cards for some) I would have to reboot the device every other day (I am going to try it again on a couple of devices and see if it was really the cablecard firmware being pushed out that was actually causing the issue but when I reverted, something SD won't let you do, it has been steady for a little more than 2 weeks, but also when I reverted, the card finally picked up the new firmware after several months of trying, though in my 6 the firmware did update prior to trying to update the tuner's firmware, where it didn't on my 4 USB). Generally with TAs, a 4 tuner lasts about a month without needing either the TA and/or tuner rebooted... a 6 tuner device I would only give a couple of weeks, with the prime I usually get about 2-3 months without worrying about the TA but since I have a routine of rebooting monthly I do reboot it as well (I have enough tuners that if the 6 goes out, it usually isn't a big deal and reboot it when the problem is discovered... recent TA firmware has reduced this necessity but still follow the monthly routine just in case).

In addition, as mentioned by another, the 6 does seem to work best when the signal is in a certain range... some have needed the signal a little hotter and on all my external units (including prime) I have resorted to using a fan to keep air moving around them (my USB unit also has a case fan on it... the others a small fan in the closet is enough) others have suggested putting the unit on end for heat issues.

Personally, I tend to only use the cetons if dedicated, not shared and to up the tuner limit. Any sharing needed, I tend to recommend the primes.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Sorry for your troubles. But I've been running Primes and InfinitTVs for years with no significant issues. Either you got a dud or have underlying issues your Primes can tolerate better.

If you need another Prime, I can get you one cheap. I have a practically mint spare which I'll probably never use. PM me if you're interested.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Have you opened a support ticket with us at http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ ? If so, please PM me your ticket #.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 pm

I experienced the same thing going from a HR to the ETH6. I never payed any attention to the HR as it just worked all the time. The ETH6 needed lots of tweaks to get it working right. For my setup I had to turn off tuner sharing and energy efficient Ethernet and put a fan on the hardware to keep it cool. The network is also much more important with ETH6.

irev210

Post by irev210 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

mdavej wrote:Sorry for your troubles. But I've been running Primes and InfinitTVs for years with no significant issues. Either you got a dud or have underlying issues your Primes can tolerate better.

If you need another Prime, I can get you one cheap. I have a practically mint spare which I'll probably never use. PM me if you're interested.
Agreed

I've been using Ceton tuners for four years now (since November 2010!) and upgraded to the infiniTV 6 ETH a year ago. I gotta say, Ceton has come a LONG way and I basically have zero problems. Without question, the latest firmware on the Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH is absolutely rock solid.

Years ago, the firmware was definitely a bit rough and there were some issues but I think they've worked through them. I can't believe what a great deal the ceton tuner is. I just wish Microsoft kept up support.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:51 am

smassey22180 wrote:I experienced the same thing going from a HR to the ETH6. I never payed any attention to the HR as it just worked all the time. The ETH6 needed lots of tweaks to get it working right. For my setup I had to turn off tuner sharing and energy efficient Ethernet and put a fan on the hardware to keep it cool. The network is also much more important with ETH6.
Yep I fully agree, sadly when I said the same in a review of the ETH6 on Amazon I had a few detractors respond. I think the underlying hardware is good as I know when I had my infiniTV4's they were rock solid for me with only the rare issue that was either caused by my stupidity or a Comcast created problem. The InfiniTV6 pcie worked well for me and was solid - again the only issues I have ever had with those are ones I introduced or Comcast did. The ETH6 probably would be in my home except there was something in my home network it just plain didn't like and I need a rock solid stable setup in our household lest the wife and kids go ape on me (since I transitioned years ago to our whole tv consumption relying on the WMC ecosystem... same reason the Echo had only a few short days stay in my household lol)

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 pm

I have a just switched from a Ceton 6ETH to an HD Home Run Prime. No more "No tuners found." No more missed recordings. No more rebooting for TV to work. No more pixel problems. The HR Prime just works. I know that some folks have great success with Ceton tuners. I was always trying to tweak my way by. No more problems. I'm a happy former Ceton owner.