[HOW TO] Windows 8 App on the SAME Windows 8 WMC PC

For general setup and troubleshooting issues
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

[HOW TO] Windows 8 App on the SAME Windows 8 WMC PC

Post by Motz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

**UPDATE: Please install the latest My Media Center services which will allow loopback** If you still experience issues please read the following:

**Per Microsoft we can not officially recommend or encourage enabling loopback on your Windows 8 PC and offer no support for the tools listed**

The Issue:
You want to run the My Media Center Windows Store app on the same PC that you are running WMC and the My Media Center Services. You will not be able to connect even though you add the PC.

The Reason:
Microsoft restricts communication between Windows Store apps and services running on the same PC. We call this "loopback" where basically your computer wants to talk to itself. Full documentation can be read here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80593.aspx

Microsoft's "warning"
Warning: Loopback is only permitted for development purposes. Usage by apps installed outside of Visual Studio is not permitted.

The Work Around:
While we investigate additional ways to integrate a solution into the services themselves you are able to manually enable loopback for specific Windows Store apps.

The creator of "Fiddler" a Telerik company made a tool called "EnableLoopback Utility". It will simply list any Windows Store apps and you can enable loopback to them individually. This has been tested and what is recommended by other programs such as Plex, XBMC, etc which follow a similar format to My Media Center:

To find the download and instructions check this MSDN article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fiddler/archive ... ption.aspx
Capture.PNG
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bobbob

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bobbob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:32 pm

this is fantastic, thanks for the answer