Is media streaming still on the roadmap?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is media streaming still on the roadmap?

Post by IT Troll » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:49 am

I am currently a Remote Potato user but I would love to switch to MMC if it could offer music streaming, picture access, etc. These are mentioned in the FAQ but that hasn't been updated for a few years. Are these being worked on or is the app now "feature complete"?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:55 am

Surely you jest! I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I read your question. I just checked my Crystal Ball.....It appears you will be using Remote Potato for awhile longer.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 am

Well I read that the app got a fairly significant update recently so I thought it was worth asking. I guess I'll stick with Remote Potato then.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:45 am

I had a fairly busy summer, I didn't hear about the update. I thought you were being facetious. Sorry about that.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Omg remote potato? I haven't used that in years and honestly it wasn't that good then. Have you tried Emby yet? Just for streaming alone its amazing... I have yet to replace mymovies with it yet as I don't like its clunky wmc interface... But using it to stream to my phone or amazon firetv is incredible! I just brought the firetv with me on vacation... 30mbps down at the house I rented... All my recordings, movies.. Even live TV worked flawlessly. Beautiful HD picture! Emby is the real deal and as its interface gets better will ultimately replace WMC completely.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:45 pm

There is no MMC road for a map to be made ;) WYSIWYG. Motz may have a twiddle here and there but it will be unofficial.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Since the cat is out of the bag. Yes, have a look at emby server. A couple port forwards in the router, and you got a nice web server. Streams just about anything-anywhere. I use it for live TV in the truck to my phone. Gave my daughter one of my tuners and she is on the other side of the planet. I also use it locally to have live TV on any of my workstations, tablets, phones, etc.
It's pretty nice software, has great support, and is actively being developed and improved daily.

I have been using it for just about a year now. Try it out.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies. I am actually not that bothered about streaming TV or other video content, I am more interested in streaming music. My requirements in priority order are:

1. Add / Manage Media Center TV Recordings
2. Stream Music
3. Browse Pictures
4. Stream TV / Video

Remote Potato is still limping along for me but it is old and buggy. I have struggled to find an alternative for iOS which pulls together all these elements. Perhaps there is no one app and I need two? MMC plus something for streaming?

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Plex works very well

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Is the HTPC Mac or Windows? Either way, there is an Emby server software for both.

https://emby.media/downloads/mac-server/

https://emby.media/downloads/windows-server/

Emby Server grabs pretty much everything you have in WMC, then streams (throws) it to any of your devices. Some of your devices will be able to display (catch) the stream without any assistance. Some devices need a little help..... There is client software for just about anything.

https://emby.media/download/

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:34 pm

The HTPC is Windows and is still heavily reliant on Media Center for PVR because I am yet to find anything better. Which is why being able to manage WMC recordings is my top priority. I know Emby is good for media but will it let me add / manage Media Center scheduled recordings?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Yes. You can record manually, future, or series. It is similar to MMC in the sense of remote controlling WMC, with the added benefit of being able to stream your media to your devices. As a matter of fact you would be able to schedule (and or play) from WMC on the HTPC, your extenders (if you use them), MMC (which you are familiar with all ready), Emby or Emby's clients, any of your PC's with Internet Explorer, Safari on Mac's, Chrome on Androids. (those are the only internet browsers I have tried)

Here is a screenshot of the Guide. 192.168.1.10 is the LAN address of my HTPC. I can also access the same interface from WAN as well, without any Emby Clients.

One other thing, I have around 3000 mp3's setup in WMC. Emby streams them for me, wherever I happen to be at the moment.
Attachments
EmbyTV003.JPG

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for the screenshot. In addition to being able to add recordings, is it possible to use Emby clients / browsers to review the list of scheduled recordings which were originally set using Media Center?

I see Emby don't currently have an iOS app. Is the browser version still useable on a small phone screen? Also do you know if music streaming through Safari on iOS includes background playback?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Yes-And.....There are 6 tabs. Recordings tab is shown in the new screenshot. Primarily it displays Tiles, List View is shown below Tiles. Same type of display for Scheduled and Series.

I just checked the Emby IOS link.....It appears they are working on a re-launch.

I don't have any IOS devices here at the moment, however I do use all functions on an Android Samsung S4.

PM me with your real name and direct email. You can take mine for a test drive for 12 hrs. Specify your 12 hour start-end date-time in United States Eastern Time Zone and I'll send you a link, username and password. Please do not record anything or set any Future or Series recordings.
Attachments
EmbyTV004.JPG

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks, that is a very generous offer. I think you it sold to me already. It sounds like it should tick all my boxes, especially once the new iOS app is released.

Rather than hassle you any more I'll install in a VM to so I can testout installing the WMCServer component.

Thanks again.