Troubleshooting remote access - suggestions?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Troubleshooting remote access - suggestions?

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm

My Companion remote access is not working today, and I was hoping some people would have recommendations for troubleshooting.

Last night, I tried updating the firmware on my (aging) D-Link DIR-655 (aside: it did not update, but I took the precaution of uploading a backup copy of the system settings, and I verified that port routing was still implemented on the router). Also, I changed out a bunch of wires leading to my router (they were too long, and the WAF had dropped, so I replaced them with proper-length CAT 6 cables and a nicer looking wire management arrangement). I verified all network connections last night.

Today, I tried accessing my HTPC via the Ceton Companion, and it generated the message that it couldn't make the connection. I verified that the password was correct, and that the dlinkddns (which I use to "name" my home network) was properly set, at least as far as I could determine remotely.

I'll be getting home very late tonight and will have limited time available for troubleshooting, so I thought I'd ask for some advice as to what to check first. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Dean L. Surkin

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Hmmm interesting, if you changed around your router a bit did you verify that the port was still forwarded correctly to the correct IP address of the HTPC? Also did your external IP change at all?

Can you open up the Companion Config and run the port forwarding check under settings.

Is local wifi connection working?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks, Motz, for the amazingly fast reply. I'll check these points when I get home tonight.
Dean L. Surkin

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

it is as if we never sleep over here :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

STC

Post by STC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I would also check whether your WAN IP has changed.

If using a dynamic DNS service, it may not have updated. If using an IP address in the Companion config, check that they still match.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks, all who helped. I found the problem--the router assigned a different address to my HTPC, so I had to change the port forwarding to match the new address. It works fine now.
Dean L. Surkin

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 am

Glad you found it. To prevent it happening in the future you could either set your HTPC to a static IP or if the router supports it, set it up to assign IP's based on MAC address.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 am

Nice! Yeah I think DyDNS is great, but if the IP of the HTPC changes it is no good. You can always assign it a static IP though.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

DanielVivas90

Post by DanielVivas90 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:27 pm

I've recently switched to free AEROADMIN and it looks good.
You may want to do the same as soon as you try.
Hope this helps