Ceton Companion now AVAILABLE!

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Forjo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Forjo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:27 pm

quepasa281 wrote:Is there not any kind of authentication between the app and the Companion service, especially if you forward the port (open to the internet)???
I would like to know this as well. This seems like an extraordinary security hole!

-Forjo

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 pm

mikinho wrote:
globalcop wrote:After installing the upgrade (to resolve Xbox extender problem) I now have no shows under "recorded TV." This includes shows that I recorded after installing the companion on the WMC (I even used the app to set the recording). I've rebooted and still no fix. Any ideas?

P.S. The update did resolve the extender problem. Xbox working fine with apps now, except for not showing any of my recorded shows.
We are investigating now, give me an hour or two for an update.
Is anyone else having this problem? I've had shows record since I posted this problem and even those aren't showing up in the app. Here is the error message. FWIW, I sometimes have to try to connect a couple times to the PC, could this be related? Also worth noting I have a shit-ton of shows, a couple terabytes worth I think (not unusual I'm sure).

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:26 pm

A few others are experiencing. I've made a potential fix already but am testing.

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

mikinho wrote:A few others are experiencing. I've made a potential fix already but am testing.
If it helps, I can see recorded shows in the "Gallery" view. So they are there somewhere in the app.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 am

You should be able to see the update visible already in the config. Please let me know if that helps.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 am

I have yet to have any movies info populate from my movie collection. Is there still a fix on the way or wad that addressed already?

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 am

mcewinter wrote:I have yet to have any movies info populate from my movie collection. Is there still a fix on the way or wad that addressed already?
It's being tested internally. Not sure if we will push tonight or in the AM.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 am

mikinho wrote:
mcewinter wrote:I have yet to have any movies info populate from my movie collection. Is there still a fix on the way or wad that addressed already?
It's being tested internally. Not sure if we will push tonight or in the AM.
That's what I thought, no real rush. As long as it's not just me.

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:53 am

mikinho wrote:You should be able to see the update visible already in the config. Please let me know if that helps.
Update fixed the issue. Thanks! I also need to commend you guys for the very graceful update system (and the great looking UI). Very smooth, no reboots and the app was open on my phone during the update and the Recorded shows immediately populated as soon as the update completed.

Well done.

Parker Clack

Post by Parker Clack » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 am

First off let me say I am so happy that you have finally made this available.

So far things are pretty much there but I wanted to provide some feedback.

I am using this on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 with Android 4.0.4.

I have the service on a Windows 7 64bit PC.

- My router (Motorola SGB6580) has UnPN enabled but I have to add the port
forwarding to get it to work. I enable the port number to the port forwarding
on my router and all is well but I continue to get an error when clicking on
the Test button saying that the port could not be found.

- I love the latest update for the service but it would be great to the have the
same button images for your recorded TV listing as you have for the Gallery.

Count me in as another one that really would like to have streaming built in and
if possible the ability to watch live TV. I already have an app that allows
me to watch what I have recorded but have yet to find anything that allows
me to stream my TV from Media Center to my phone or tablet. That would
be great. I know streaming is on your road map.

As with the rest of you I can hardly wait for the Q to come out. I have been
waiting for someone to come out with a stand alone Media Center for years.
Thank God it will soon be here.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Parker

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 pm

New issue: using the app on both my HTC One X and iPad 3 all transport controls on remote screen work except skip fwd and back (ffwd and rewind do work). Those controls do work when I use my old normal remote, so I know it isn't a limitation of the content. I am using an XBox media extender.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:31 pm

globalcop wrote:New issue: using the app on both my HTC One X and iPad 3 all transport controls on remote screen work except skip fwd and back (ffwd and rewind do work). Those controls do work when I use my old normal remote, so I know it isn't a limitation of the content. I am using an XBox media extender.
Thanks, added to our list and we are able to reproduce. We are looking to release an update today that is in testing...this will most likely not be included there but should be in the subsequent.

Oldmajor

Post by Oldmajor » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:38 pm

I have very limited remote control functions that work (only the volume and home key work). Also auto discovery doesnt work even with port forwarding set up correctly. I ams tartnig to wonder if another program can interfere with the Ceton Companion app? One ot the first apps i had for WP7 was a Media Center Remote that also had a software needed to make the remote work. Could there be a conflic if its still installed?

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Oldmajor wrote:I have very limited remote control functions that work (only the volume and home key work). Also auto discovery doesnt work even with port forwarding set up correctly. I ams tartnig to wonder if another program can interfere with the Ceton Companion app? One ot the first apps i had for WP7 was a Media Center Remote that also had a software needed to make the remote work. Could there be a conflic if its still installed?
A few questions that can help troubleshoot:

1- Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit

2- Are you running Media Center in fullscreen exclusive mode?

Oldmajor

Post by Oldmajor » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:53 pm

A few questions that can help troubleshoot:

1- Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit
32-Bit

2- Are you running Media Center in fullscreen exclusive mode?
Fullscreen not exclusive

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks. We are looking to reproduce on 32-bit now and will have an update relatively soon there after.

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:36 am

Something else for you to check:

If I start a program via the app, the screen on my Xbox extender-based TV starts to dim into screensaver mode as though it doesn't know I'm watching a show.

Also (and perhaps this is more of a feature request) there is no way to resume a show (this is actually a big deal and will cause me to simply go back to my old ways). If I start a show that was in progress using the app, it simply starts from the beginning again. That's a deal breaker, especially since the remote lacks any number keys and I can't just type "25" then "Play" to skip straight to 25 minutes into the show, for example.

And, is there a way to set a device as the default in either iOS or Android? My WMC box is just a headless PC in the closet but every time I open the Remote on the App I have to use additional button presses to get off the default WMC device and choose my extender. This is even within an existing session of using the app, just leaving the Remote screen to search for example, then going back to Remote and I have to keep re-choosing the correct device. It would actually be nice to just have the app ignore the WMC entirely so I don't have to keep being interrupted and prompted for device for playback, etc, which is almost always defaulting to the wrong one.

I hope this feedback is useful.

normychas

Post by normychas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am

issue summary: record, pause, play, x, rewind, skip back, fast forward, skip forward, back, information, channel up, channel down, up, left, down, right buttons don't work on my htpc or any of my extenders (latest build installed as of 9/7/2012 download and install)

the following buttons do work
guide
movie
recorded tv
home button
mute button
volume up
volume down

anybody else having similar troubles?

I should say that i am super siked for this new product from Ceton and hope the Ceton Q comes out soon so i can convince my friends to buy one :)

calbear88

Post by calbear88 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:24 pm

I noticed that after installing the comapnion on my windows 7 PC, the computer slows to a crawl and becomes unresponsive. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it indexing files?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm

calbear88 wrote:I noticed that after installing the comapnion on my windows 7 PC, the computer slows to a crawl and becomes unresponsive. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it indexing files?
This isn't an issue that we're aware of. What does your CPU usage look like, and what process(es) are using it? Also, if you uninstall the app, does the problem subside?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation