My Media Center Walkthrough & How To Videos

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Motz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 pm

NWW wrote:What happened to the Win8 version you showed to Ian at CES?
The CES Win8 version was a prototype. We anticipated a lot of change to Windows 8 and it's development tools and frameworks so we shifted focus away until things were stable on that front. However something for Win8 RT is in the works. No details besides that at this time though.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:19 pm

wally007 wrote:
Motz wrote:Yeah when I demoed all of the apps to everyone here they were like hmmmm now I sort of want a windows phone :)
Well MS killed Windows 7 Phones few weeks ago. Nobody buying phone who is just a bit tech savvy will buy it now... ( btw , i was about to give W7 phone a go, but not anymore )
Uhhh, Windows 7 phone isn't dead by any means, but windows 8 phone will launch soon. Will the windows app work in 7 and 8?

NWW

Post by NWW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Motz wrote:
NWW wrote:What happened to the Win8 version you showed to Ian at CES?
The CES Win8 version was a prototype. We anticipated a lot of change to Windows 8 and it's development tools and frameworks so we shifted focus away until things were stable on that front. However something for Win8 RT is in the works. No details besides that at this time though.
Awesome, thanks :)

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:04 am

pduncan1963 wrote:
wally007 wrote:
Motz wrote:Yeah when I demoed all of the apps to everyone here they were like hmmmm now I sort of want a windows phone :)
Well MS killed Windows 7 Phones few weeks ago. Nobody buying phone who is just a bit tech savvy will buy it now... ( btw , i was about to give W7 phone a go, but not anymore )
Uhhh, Windows 7 phone isn't dead by any means, but windows 8 phone will launch soon. Will the windows app work in 7 and 8?
Absolutely, Microsoft has already made the promise that all WP7 apps will work in WP8. I am sure we will do some tweaks and updates for WP8 when the SDK is out.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

wally007

Post by wally007 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:04 am

So you'd buy Windows 7 Phone right now ?

Either way, great to hear that Ceton app will work on Windows 8 Phone as well. Cant wait for Metro app :)
pduncan1963 wrote:
wally007 wrote:

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 am

wally007 wrote:So you'd buy Windows 7 Phone right now ?

I mean Lumia 900 is pretty awesome, but with all this IFA stuff going on and Windows 8 right around the corner I would wait to find out what everyone has up their sleeves. The new samsung WP8 looks nice and I am sure there will be a new Lumia as well.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 am

Motz wrote:

I mean Lumia 900 is pretty awesome, but with all this IFA stuff going on and Windows 8 right around the corner I would wait to find out what everyone has up their sleeves. The new samsung WP8 looks nice and I am sure there will be a new Lumia as well.
Well the Lumin 900 has been advertised for under a dollar at AT&T and Walmart. If I needed one, I'd buy one for sure!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Is this in the wild for android yet?

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:06 pm

No one should buy a WP7 right now. It's a dead end device.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
Let's not get too off topic guys and start debating phones..... Whatever your purchase decision is the Companion will work on any of them :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Is this in the wild for android yet?
Not yet, we are planning on launching them as closely together as possible.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

Motz wrote:
SilverRubicon wrote:
Let's not get too off topic guys and start debating phones..... Whatever your purchase decision is the Companion will work on any of them :)
I've got a Palm Pre around somewhere :twisted:
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 am

erkotz wrote:I've got a Palm Pre around somewhere :twisted:
Alright so maybe not web os or blackberry... or symbian... :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

tad

Post by tad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm

It doesn't look like music library playback made it into the final version -- very disappointing! Is music control still planned (please say yes -- it is critical for people who have their media centers hooked to their stereos and want to be able to control playback when the TV is off). If so, any idea when this feature will be included?

I've been using Media Center Control (http://mediacentercontrol.com/en/index_android.php) for Android (also available on Windows Phone), which works great, but there is no comparable app for iOS. I'm really looking forward to switching over to the Ceton apps so I can get more of a unified experience.

BTW, all your work looks great so far -- really looking forward to seeing (and playing with) the released apps.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 pm

tad wrote:It doesn't look like music library playback made it into the final version -- very disappointing! Is music control still planned (please say yes -- it is critical for people who have their media centers hooked to their stereos and want to be able to control playback when the TV is off). If so, any idea when this feature will be included?

I've been using Media Center Control (http://mediacentercontrol.com/en/index_android.php) for Android (also available on Windows Phone), which works great, but there is no comparable app for iOS. I'm really looking forward to switching over to the Ceton apps so I can get more of a unified experience.

BTW, all your work looks great so far -- really looking forward to seeing (and playing with) the released apps.
I get this functionality directly with my AVR. It's a Yamaha RX-A2010. Yamaha supplies a free Android app (and an iOS one too, I think). The receiver can play anything that is shared through Windows Media Player, and the phone app is very nice... I can see the play lists, song titles, artists, etc. It works great.

If you don't have an AVR that has this functionality, I can certainly understand the desire for a Media Center app that provides the same functionality. I definitely don't want to leave my TV on while listening to music. It's a plasma, so screen burn would be an issue... plus it's a 64" beast that draws a lot of power.

tad

Post by tad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
tad wrote:It doesn't look like music library playback made it into the final version -- very disappointing! Is music control still planned (please say yes -- it is critical for people who have their media centers hooked to their stereos and want to be able to control playback when the TV is off). If so, any idea when this feature will be included?

I get this functionality directly with my AVR. It's a Yamaha RX-A2010. Yamaha supplies a free Android app (and an iOS one too, I think). The receiver can play anything that is shared through Windows Media Player, and the phone app is very nice... I can see the play lists, song titles, artists, etc. It works great.

If you don't have an AVR that has this functionality, I can certainly understand the desire for a Media Center app that provides the same functionality. I definitely don't want to leave my TV on while listening to music. It's a plasma, so screen burn would be an issue... plus it's a 64" beast that draws a lot of power.
Good point about the AVRs with this type of functionality built-in. Like many others, though, I use my Windows media center as the source for a whole-house audio system (Niles brand in my case, but others use all sorts of different systems), and my AVR is just for living room TV/movie watching.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 pm

I have been using my Nexus Q for google play music playback which is nice, but yes don't worry this music is on our feature list. I don't have eta details on it though.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

docmattman

Post by docmattman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:29 am

I just want to make sure I didn't miss it somewhere, but did you post a release date for the companion apps yet? I'm definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for all the hard work Ceton, you guys are awesome!

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 am

Tuesday is the plan 100% for android and wp7. We are still waiting upon apple for iOS.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:13 am

Motz wrote:Tuesday is the plan 100% for android and wp7. We are still waiting upon apple for iOS.
Nice, companion app on tuesday, weekend for the start of NFL, and then the next week Echo's :)