CableCard Devices?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
spinnaker

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard Devices?

Post by spinnaker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Not sure where this should be posted if a mod wants to move then that is fine.

I have been OTA for a number of years now. My antenna is mounted in the attic. It actually "looks" through a couple of walls as I live in a townhouse.

I will be moving. The new location is 200ft lower than my current location. I plan to mount my antenna on the rear deck. It will just be several feet above ground level. According to those antenna reception maps my reception is going to be moderate to poor (it is currently strong to moderate but I am assuming that means for an outdoor antenna, the actual reception is pretty good). I am concerned my reception with OTA will not be good at the new location. If it is I need a backup plan and that is going back to cable which I dread.

I want to keep my media center PC so I am looking at cablecards. I understand they also require a M-Card from your cable card provider? How does that usually work? Is it just provided for free? Do you have pay rent? Do they charge a one time fee? I will be using Verizon if anyone is aware of those specifics.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:17 pm

spinnaker wrote: I want to keep my media center PC so I am looking at cablecards. I understand they also require a M-Card from your cable card provider? How does that usually work? Is it just provided for free? Do you have pay rent? Do they charge a one time fee? I will be using Verizon if anyone is aware of those specifics.
When you place the order for a FiOS installation at your new residence, ask for a CableCard. They only have M-Cards. The fee is $4.99/month.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks.

Do they charge extra for multiple tuners?

What about multiple PCs all feeding off of the same multiple tuner cable card device? How would they know?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 pm

spinnaker wrote:Thanks.

What about multiple PCs all feeding off of the same multiple tuner cable card device? How would they know?
The M-Card supports 6 HD streams. Whether you have one tuner or six, they don't care. $4.99/card/month
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:15 pm

Scallica wrote:
spinnaker wrote:Thanks.

The M-Card supports 6 HD streams. Whether you have one tuner or six, they don't care. $4.99/card/month

Cool at least they don't rack you per stream. ;) Maybe I should not have mentioned that. ;)

Thanks for the help. It will be nice to know I have options in the event my antenna does not pan out.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 am

I know this may seem clear but you have to pay for the standard cable service as well as the cable card fee. not just the 4.99

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Good point lurch66! Seems obvious to those of us already paying abusive KableKo rates and fees, but OP did say "been OTA for a number of years". He/she may be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to 'add the cord'.

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 pm

I am aware thanks. I just want to be sure what I am in for should I need to add cable. They advertise a rate and then rack you with all of the additional charges. Sort of like the airlines.

Anyone have experience with Verizon vs Comcast? My co-worker has Fios internet but Comcast TV. Claims it is the more affordable / performance option.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Comcast is charging us $9.95 per month per cablecard, minus a $2.50 customer equipment credit. Plus taxes, that's putting the cost of each cablecard at around $100 per year - significantly higher than when we first started using cablecards with WMC.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:20 pm

And true to form, there is never one price or answer when it comes to Comcast. I pay $0.00 for a single cablecard on my account. I also get a $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment. Plus taxes, franchise fees, and a brand new $5.00 "Broadcast TV Fee" just started last month.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm

^ Broadcast TV Fee! Really?
Surprised there isn't a 'Electron Distribution Fee'.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Yup, Broadcast TV Fee - $5.00. Comcast claims they are just passing along *new* costs associated with re-transmitting traditional, local OTA TV (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS). It is total BS of course. I already pay a monthly cable package fee that always included locals (in fact I'm pretty sure KableCo is required by law to include locals). It is just a slimey way to increase revenue without increasing my "package price". What is most aggravating is that I cannot OPT OUT. Since I get locals OTA, I would gladly let Comcast STOP sending & selling me ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Coming soon: a say 'CableTV' tax. If you say the phrase it's a buck. Sshhh!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Recently TWC dropped the "additional jack" fee from my bill. So now I'm paying just the $2.50 per M card. That really helps since I went from two to four cards when I transitioned to HDHR Primes from Ceton.