No signal at all for channel 16 with Hauppauge card

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
spinnaker

HTPC Specs: Show details

No signal at all for channel 16 with Hauppauge card

Post by spinnaker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:12 am

I have a Hauppauge 7164 installed in my WMC PC. I used to be able to get channel 16 local station WINP. Now I get nothing, no signal at all on the signal strength tester. My television gets a nice strong signal (based on picture quality TV has no meter) when the same antenna that was hooked to the Hauppauge is connected to the RF input of the TV. I even get a great signal on the TV when a much smaller, lower mounted antenna is hooked up.

The antenna for WINP is only 9 miles away. It is an ION station so I imagine it has a pretty decent signal strength, 500KW with a 213m antenna. My home is probably a couple hundred feet or so higher compared to the elevation at the antenna.

I have the antenna mounted in my attic. There is a building and a hilltop between me and the antenna.

Most other local antennas are pretty much in the same area. Some might be mounted higher on the hilltops. I get wall to wall green signals on all other stations including WQED which always seems to be a weak station. Oddly, I get wall to wall green on WQED but get no signal at all on the TV then the antenna is connected to the TV.

Why would I suddenly have no signal at all on 16 on the Hauppauge? Can anything be done?

I was thinking of adding a USB tuner (I have no slots left on my PC). Any suggestions for one that has good sensitivity? Assuming that tuner is available, will WMC select it if it has a signal when the other tuners do not?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:23 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Go to Edit Channels/Edit Sources and see if all the listed sources point to physical channel 38. There should be one source per turner.

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:11 pm

dmagerl wrote:Go to Edit Channels/Edit Sources and see if all the listed sources point to physical channel 38. There should be one source per turner.
Do you mean down at the bottom of the screen on Edit Sources? Where it shows the quality? The channel number was showing as 26.1

What I did was run scan for new channels.

Now I have the following issues.

I have 3 main 16.1 channels. I think I split them. How remove those extras? I have them disabled for now.

Each 16.x channel has at least two 26.X physical channels and two 38.x physical channels. The 26.Xs are disabled for now but how do I remove them?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm

tvfool.com shows WINP as being on ch 38. If its also showing on 26, there's either a repeater in the area or the guide is wrong.

All you need to do is go to the Edit Sources screen again and disable the sources with the channel you cant receive.

I believe you can merge the listings back together if you wish, or just disable the extraneous ones so they dont show. I've never merged anything though so I'm not sure of the process.