Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250 - Owner's Thread

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
locokip

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by locokip » Sun May 25, 2014 1:29 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:It could be something as simple as a loose coax connector, water infiltration in the coax lines, a bad preamp, corroded connections on the antenna, or the antenna rotated a little bit over the years.

Have you checked those things, and tried rotating your antenna to get a better signal?
Thanks Barnabus! I purchased a new amp since the old one was pretty cheap and I saw that it has a lot of complaints online. It's about 4 years old and is probably dead. Also, it is probably incorrectly placed. I have it way down toward my computer, about 50 feet away from the actual antenna. The antenna is a multi directional, so I don't know if rotating it is going to do anything. All of my stations come from the same mountain in Phoenix, so I probably should get a directional antenna, but this multi has done fine for so many years I might as well try this. All of the hardware is in the attic or in an indoor closet, so I don't think water infiltration is a problem either. I just checked the coaxes and they all seem tight, although the one going into the amp was pretty hot.

I also bought a pre-amp too, so I may be going overboard, but if it keeps my wife from getting upset that Modern Family or something didn't record smoothly then it will all be worth it ;)

Thanks again for the quick reply.

locokip

Post by locokip » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 am

Hooked it all up and my signal got worse! After testing the lines, turns out the pre-amp was completely degrading the signal somehow. Unhooked the pre-amp and it all seems to be working much better now with just the new amp attached less than 3 feet from the antenna.

Maybe that will help someone else in the same boat. Don't know what that pre-amp was supposed to do, but it sure wasn't working for my set up.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Amplifying the signal twice is never a good idea.

billrobpv

Post by billrobpv » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:07 pm

I guess my problem is vaguely similar to earlier posts.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows Media Center. WMC is turned on with computer power, and “stays on top”. I have 2 Hauppauge Win HVR2255 tuners, one has an analog cable input, and the other a HD digital antenna (OTA) input. I have successfully set up all the cable and OTA signals. I can play (Live TV) and record OTA digital signals. I don't use a Hauppauge Blaster.
Here is my problem: WMC does not recognize a cable signal until I access another cable (or OTA) channel using WMC "Live TV", and then return to the original cable channel.
After WMC loads, I select “Live TV”. If I left it on a digital channel, it plays OK. If I left it on a cable channel, I get a blue blank screen. When I step (using the + - buttons) to another channel, then I can step return to the original cable channel and get a signal. WMC cannot “see” the cable inputs until I step to another channel and essentially “reset” the inputs. Maybe the problem fix is in the registry, but I would need a little more help there.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Bill Roberts