Hauppauge HVR-2255 question

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jwckauman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge HVR-2255 question

Post by jwckauman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm

I just swapped out my old HVR-1600 for a new HVR-2255 because the HVR-1600 wouldn't support clearQAM channels. I got the driver installed fine but two problems in Windows Media Center.
1. WMC isn't automatically finding my card. I have to manually select it.
2. WMC isn''t finding any clearQAM channels when scanning for them.

For grins I tried to manually add a clearQAM channel using a list of channel numbers from a website I found. No TV signal found on the first one I tried.

Is #1 normal for this card? Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong or might be the issue? Thank you!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:42 pm

I have a 2250, WMC has always detected it on first go.

As for QAM, I've always had to manually add my channels where I am now (when I had Comcast QAM at another place breifly, I didn't/it would detect them properly). Some providers send the channels with data that WMC just doesn't properly detect.

You're gonna have to use the WinTV app to scan for channels and get the physical channel numbers - you then add that as QAM 256 to WMC (and can assign it your own virtual channel number later if you want). That's how I do it.

jwckauman

Post by jwckauman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

So this is weird. I tried hooking up my digital OTA antenna to the card and it also didn't AutoDetect nor find any channels. So on a whim, I moved the coax to the middle port. Suddenly I had clear reception. I thought the middle port was for FM radio and the outer port for TV. Anyone else notice this?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:15 pm

There's only 2 coaxial inputs on the 2250/2255. Unless you're including the S-Video port. On mine the FM input is the one closest to the S-Video port, and the TV input the outer/top port. They just might have changed it up on the 2255 though; as I mentioned mine is the 2250. It should be clearly labeled/imprinted on the bracket what port is which though.