Two tuner devices

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
steveo_in_sd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Two tuner devices

Post by steveo_in_sd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 am

Hi all - I currently have a Hauppauge DCR-2650 two turner cable card tuner, and would like to have more tuners. I feel like 4 is a good number to shoot for based on our usage. I have one PC that serves one TV via an Xbox 360 extender (so max two display devices (usually no live TV on either), plus recordings).

I am open to replacement or complementing it with another tuner. My preference would be USB or Network, unless the compelling choice is only PCI.

I have SDV so that is a consideration. I seem to recall that one CC can tune up to 6 channels in a single tuner device, but don't recall what the TA capabilities are for a single device, and if a TA can serve multiple tuner devices or if each device requires a separate TA. My TA requires some hand-holding to make sure that it is appropriately operating, if that matters in the device recommendations.

I would appreciate the wisdom of the group :)

shumiron

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by shumiron » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:57 am

I use two HDHomerunDual tuners in my setup. I had a Hauppage PCI included but removed it when I got the second HDHomerun. This seems to work well altho sometimes I get no tuner available message when I think there should be one available. I do have three computers watching and recording at times so kinda hard to keep track. The HDHomerun is a network tuner and I like it very much. Good Luck.