Strange Colossus Problem

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
vincewarde

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange Colossus Problem

Post by vincewarde » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm

I have had a Colussus set up on a Directv HD Reciever for several years - and now it has developed a strange problem. WMC takes a long time to begin displaying video, displays the "no signal" or "weak signal" error message and then either starts displaying video after a delay - or often never displays video at all. Same problem on scheduled recordings. OTA tuner works fine PROVIDED I disable the Colossus. If the Colossus is not disabled, the OTA tuner does the same thing (?????).

I can use the Hauppauge capture software to view/record video - no problem. Once WMC recognizes the signal, it records multiple programs provided they are on the same channel.

I have tried setting the signal strength to 50% trick.

I have completely uninstalled the Colossus and tried re-installing. WMC set up goes fine including channel detection, but the problem recurs.

So, at this point I've disabled the Colossus and the family is watching football off the OTA tuner. I'm going to try to fix this problem later today or tomorrow. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

System Specs:

CPU A8-3870 3.00 GHZ
8 GB RAM
Win 7 64-bit
Last edited by vincewarde on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincewarde

Post by vincewarde » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

OK, I found this - it applies to the HD-PVR, but it sure sounds like my problem

Note: Because the HDPVR utilizes a hardware H.264 encoder, it behaves differently than typical
tuner based devices. The HDPVR encoder must be reset whenever the input video resolution or
bit stream audio type changes. Additionally, the HDPVR encoder may reset due to input video
dropouts or errors in bit stream audio. The HDPVR stops streaming at the onset of the reset and
resumes ~ 2-4 seconds after the return of stable audio and video.

WMC displays a “Weak signal” message when it sees” bad” or “no” transport data from a source
for a predetermined time. The reset time of the HDPVR encoder appears to fall just within the
threshold to trigger a weak signal message.

So, does anyone know if there is a registry mod I can do to extend the time before WMC decides there is no signal?

vincewarde

Post by vincewarde » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 pm

OK - problem solved.

The issue was a failure in the network adapter in the directv box. This is significant since I use IP tuning. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would work slowly, sometimes it would change to the wrong channel and often the adapter would fail completely. The result was that WMC would crash during signal detection or channel scan. Of course, WMC error messages were anything but helpful. Eventually I thought to test it and found that it had indeed failed.

So, if you are running a capture card under WMC and you are using DTV IP tuning - consider that the IP tuning could be the problem if WMC reports no or weak signal.

michelle

Post by michelle » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 pm

I've been having the wrong channel issue with my colossus card and have tried numerous things with no solution. I have a dual card setup on H24 receivers with IP tuning and I have to run the tv setup again to get the channel changing working properly again. Is there a workaround for this or does the receiver need to be changed out?