Recommendations: Half Height Tuners?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
markolarko

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommendations: Half Height Tuners?

Post by markolarko » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I have been doing HTPCs for 10 years and now find myself building a 'mini' HTPC - See here http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/budget-htpc/

I would like a quad TV tuner but to date the only one I have found that comes close to my requirements is the BlackGold 3655.

I have a BG3620 which works well on another HTPC.

The BG3655 is Half Height and has three tuners for Cable and Terrestrial TV but so far I haven't been able to get it to be seen by the BIOS so it's going back after a long tedious wait - to BlackGold Technologies.

So just in case the card does not perform I thought that following my long search for half height cards that I would pose the question to the forum so we can put a current list of available and competent (!) tuners together.

I look forward to everyone's contribution - it will certainly save us all a lot of searching!!

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:34 pm

markolarko wrote:I would like a quad TV tuner but to date the only one I have found that comes close to my requirements is the BlackGold 3655.
You do a very good job of concealing your location, so there is no indication of what TV services you are hoping to receive.

I will assume that when you mention "Terrestrial TV" in your post, you mean DVB-T2, and will suggest the TBS 6285 quad-tuner half-height DVB-T2 card. I have its predecessor, the TBS 6284 quad-tuner full-height card. Some TBS cards are a bit fussy about motherboard BIOS (my 6284 is, for instance).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

markolarko

Post by markolarko » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi CyberSimian
I just replied but it disappeared in the ether! I too have the Full Height Quad tuner by I didnt realise that TBS made a half height version - I will check them out.

I just hope that the Black Gold RMA results in a working card - but this is only a 3 x tuner. However I have a couple of HTPCs - One in the Home Theatre and one in my lounge attached to a 46in Sony.

I am trying to set up a server solution with Ceton My Media Center. This is proving a head scratching affair but it is still early days. I want to be able to record from both HTPCs and then using RichCopy to consolidate all the recordings (TV) onto the server - This works fine but as yet I am at loggerheads with the new Ceton software.

Thank you - I have updated my profile - Cornwall England!!

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:29 pm

markolarko wrote:I have updated my profile - Cornwall England!!
:thumbup:

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh, now I get it. UK. Welcome to the club.

You might want to have a look through some of the system showcases.....http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=15 some good idea's in there.

In particular, this one might work for you.....http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... p=127#p127