Issues with August DVB-T210 Single USB Tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
LBJ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issues with August DVB-T210 Single USB Tuner

Post by LBJ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi,

I am in the UK. I am using the August DVB-T210 USB tuner with Windows 7 x64 Media Center. A single tuner DVB-T2 tuner.

I have two problems:

1. The transmitter area I live in has recently moved certain channels (BBC FOUR HD, BBC NEWS 24 HD, etc) to the new COM7 multiplex. This occurred a week or so ago. This is on channel 31 or 554.0MHz in my area. WMC will not retune to obtain this multiplex, so the entire cohort has gone missing. If I set up the tuner again I get 134 channels and not these. The entire COM7 multiplex is absent. Initially I thought this was perhaps a driver or firmware issue. But I have noted that if I change my WMC registered post code (and thereby transmitter link) I can tune in differing channels but these are far fewer in number. It seems that the TV signal setup seems to guess the transmitter frequencies to scan based on the post code, i.e. one post code returns only 9 channels, another 16 channels and the correct one 134 channels (but not COM7). Is this right? If so how can I get MS to update their transmitter data? And is there anyway to get the COM7 in manually? I cannot find a manual scan option in WMC. P.S. It is not an aerial issue or signal strength issue, all my other devices including PS3 have retuned fine and the ones that can report high 95+% strength and 100% quality across the board, its only the DVB-T210 that cannot see the COM7 mux.

2. As I was so impressed by the function of the DVB-T210 (before issue 1) I got another tuner of the same make and model. When I plug this in the driver is installed automatically (presumably based on the pre-existing tuner) however I get a device manager Code 10 error, i.e. the device won't start. At this point WMC cannot see either tuner until I remove all drivers and reinstall a single unit only. My motherboard has three USB groups, intel USB2, intel USB3 and a third party USB3 set. Separating the tuners across these makes no odds. Uninstalling and reinstalling together makes no odds either. I am at a loss. Looking around it should be possible to use multiple USB tuners in WMC but perhaps not the same model? Or can you actually do this and I am doing something wrong? I did wonder if a better/newer driver may be needed but I have the latest installed. I have considered some kind of resource or device ID issue but cannot figure out if there is one.

I have contacted August support but heard nothing as yet.

Any help on either item would be much appreciated.

Thanks

evilgoat

Post by evilgoat » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 pm

This sounds more like a badly behaved driver. We use similar dongles for SDR (Software Defined Radio, think Scanner on steroids) and although I can have four plugged in and on the go at once with the SDR drivers the moment I switch back to the TV driver for even one, I loose the lot.

What I suspect it happening is that these dongles are simple radio receivers. There is no TV processing going on in there at all and sure as hell there is no TV tuner. I suspect the driver then creates a virtual device to procide the tuner services and for whatever braindead reason this part isnt able to handle more than one instance. It grabs the first device it finds, initalises that and then the second one has a go, finds it cant create another instance of the virtual tuner and goes bang possibly breaking the association with the first device as it goes. MCE does indeed support multiple tuners and many have it working, just dont expec throw away cheapie USB's to play nice.

If they are compatible then download SDRSharp and use one of them for playing with that, plenty of weird and wonderful things to do with it.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks evilgoat. That is helpful and it fits with my thoughts, i.e. a driver issue. Do you know if two different USB tuners from different manufacturers will work as they would have differing drivers or do you think this virtual constraint would still apply?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Silly idea:
Are you scanning for channels after 7pm (or whenever the channel is broadcasting) - it will only get picked up when programmes are being broadcast and not when the mheg message is displayed - that's what I've found with my usb dvb-tv tuner anyway.

Media Center does pick up additional channels as part of the background scanning task/ ota epg update - have you left the system for a day or so to see if any new channels appear?

Manual dvb-t scan is at
tasks>settings>tv>tv signal>scan for additional services (or similar)

Another option is to use dvblink tvsource to do the actual tuning - its an added expense but it does work.

There is a free trial.

http://dvblogic.com/en/

One other thought is to see if you can find a postcode that will force the scan on each mux that you require!

Sites such as uktvfree may help.

http://www.ukfree.tv/maps/freeview
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi holidayboy,

Thanks for that input. On your points:

1. Have I tried to tune when broadcasting...yes. Also it does not seem to matter, i.e. the SD channels are detected when off air and the HD channels that have closed are detectable (BBC3 HD and CBBC HD).

2. Have I left it on for a bit..... Yes and I have tried retuning repeatedly but I do agree and hope that an OTA update or MS update will sort.

3. Manual scan....yes I know I can add scan for additional channels in general. I meant scanning a particular channel or frequency manually like my Sony TV can do. The problem with COM7 is that the freq. is really far out compared with prior multiplexes. I think this links back to point 2 and the need for a MS recognition of the amended transmitter data now, this in turn links to 4.

4. Can find a postcode that will force the scan on each mux that I require!...Yes tried that with that very site. It was that thought that prompted my discovery that changing the postcode changed the number of channels tuned, my own postcode yields the greatest, whereas others yield fewer. As I mentioned in my original posting. This led to my assumption that the initial TV signal set up where WMC gets regional download data before the guide and before the tuning actually determines the scale of the tuning undertaken. So instead of searching all frequencies that the tuner is capable of WMC only bothers searching what it thinks exists via postcode, which in my view seems a little mad and short sighted, but does explain the variation I have seen. Interestingly I cannot find a transmitter with a similar mux number and frequency spectrum otherwise I would do what you suggest.

5. dvblink...cool thanks I will give it a look.

6. On a separate note I have heard back from August on the 2 tuner issue:

"To get this set up, after Total Media has set up the first Tuner, you may also get the following message/screen:
"SET UP TWO TUNERS / SO YOU WISH TO CONFIGURE TWO TUNERS..."
Instead of clicking yes, click previous, then the same again and choose the second tuner. This will configure both correctly.
In the TV settings menu, you will need to set time shifting to "on".
I hope this helps."

The DVB-T210 ships with its own software and related (non-WMC remote). The software is Total Media. I have not actually tried it as my intention was to use WMC all along. I have asked if this will fix WMC too. I have yet to test out but I will do so and let you all know if it works in Total Media and hopefully WMC. It will also be interesting to see of Total Media can get this COM7 that is absent in WMC. Won't be tonight though as I will need the TV and the other half is using it at present!

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. This is a great forum and you are all very helpful.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Do you need a new aerial to pick up the frequency? A log periodic should get them all...
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Oops ignore me just seen it was ok on other devices.
Try re-setting tv from scratch... Pita but that's about right for WMC
Lee

evilgoat

Post by evilgoat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:18 pm

LB3, I would expect it to be a case of if its the same chipset, you'll have issues, but a different chipset should be ok. A lot of these cheap tuners are identical inside and thus you'd have the same issues if it used the same chip. Ours are all Realtek so you'd want a different chip vendor. Checking the VID and PID in device manager will go a long way but you'll need the PID and VID of the potential new tuner.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi

I can confirm several things:

1) August's support is wrong with their assistance the same issue exists in WMC or Total Media 3.5 with both tuners attached. Neither will work. Just like evilgoat suggested.

2) The 134 channel tuning is true of any software so the inability to scan COM7 on the tuner seems to be a driver/tuner limitation issue.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:49 pm

So in short the DVB-T210 cannot work with an identical second tuner as per evilgoat comment. And the DVB-T210 cannot currently scan the full spectrum of frequencies where I live despite excellent signal strength and quality as defined by other devices. The multiplex missing in Channel 31 at 554.0MHz, the remaining frequencies are all 600 and 700+ MHz. I think I may return one or both tuners and try something else. I have already tried a PCIe DVBSky dual DVB-T2 tuner but that was DOA. I am not having much luck!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:38 pm

I guess you'll probably be better off opting for tuners from the likes of TBS, Hauppauge, or Blackgold.

I know somebody who is using dual Hauppauge nano -t2 sticks.
Rob.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah holidayboy I think you are right. I have ordered a "PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner" just now and ordered a return of the most recent DVB-T210. I need to fix the WMC again so its happy with the single tuner once more. May keep the original DVB-T210 as a secondary tuner, if there are any issues I will return that one too I am still within the Amazon 30 day return period. I have emailed August again to see if they can sort the COM7 issue.

LBJ

Post by LBJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am

Hi All,

Some good news finally.

1. I woke up the PC this morning and COM7 has appeared by itself. Must have got an OTA update. Now can received 153 channels up from 134. BBC4 HD, BBC NEWS HD, Channel 4 + 1 HD, etc all back. This is on the DVB-T210.

2. I could not resolve the DVB-T210 conflict with itself when using 2 identical tuners, I returned one to Amazon for a refund.

3. The PCTV systems 292e has arrived and does not conflict with the DVB-T210. WMC has now seen them both as DVB-T tuners and is rescanning as I type.

So far all looks good. Will let you know if anything crops up.

Thanks for all the advice.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:24 pm

:thumbup:
Rob.