Need help understanding HD & Tuner Card Capability

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Indymil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need help understanding HD & Tuner Card Capability

Post by Indymil » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I have BrightHouse (Carmel Indiana) with HD service. My question concerns the 4 digit, 1000+, HD channels (wide screens). I have two computer media centers with Ceton PCI 4 tuner cards (with tuning adapters and cable cards inserted) that can get them. I have a Silicon Dust Home Run Prime (with tuning adapter and cable card inserted) that can get them. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card that does not get the 1000+ channels. Is this device not capable of getting the higher channels? Must one have a device that uses a cable card to get them? BrightHouse only charges $3.00 a month for the cards, so that's no prohibitive, but the hardware is a little more expensive and I was trying to use the Hauppauge card that I already had. Thank you for any enlightenment that you can provide.

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 am

The 1000+ refers to four digit channels.... the digital HD ones BrightHouse has.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:29 pm

if you have tuning adapters, then it is probably because they are necessary to the situation (i.e. Switched digital video)...So unless they Hauppauge card can use that set up, you are basically SOL...

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 pm

The HVR-2250 is a ClearQAM-only tuner. It will only get unencrypted channels (typically only the OTA channels in most areas). The Ceton InfiniTV and the HDHR Prime are CableCARD tuners, and will get all linear channels you subscribe to.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have concluded the 2250 is not capable of getting the 'upper channels". I will either be satisfied with it's capabilities, or upgrade to a different device (I was doing this for my sister, trying to upgrade her basic cable).