Two HVR-2250 glitching

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jeremy.mathis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Two HVR-2250 glitching

Post by jeremy.mathis » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:44 am

Hello,
I am a little confused as to what is happening here. In my recording box, I have two HVR-2250 tuner cards. They have worked fine for about a year and a half now. Recently, I finally ran ethernet throughout the house and now I can use the xbox as an extender. I got that configured and it was working fine.This was about a week ago. Then all of a sudden it seems, there is video and audio glitching on live tv. It's not like I hit the pause and then play button kind of glitch. It was like I unplugged the antenna and plugged it back in. These glitches last for about two seconds long and happen sporadically. So I remoted into the tuner box and launched the Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 applications. Tuner 1 reports full 30db snr and Tuner 2 reports 21db snr. I have a single line coming from the antenna on the roof that goes into a 1 to 2 splitter and then into each tuner card. You can watch the Tuner Signal applications and see the signal disappear for about two second, corresponding with the glitch on tv. However, both Tuner don't seem to be losing signal at the same time.

I then unplugged the antenna line from the splitter and hooked it directly into the tuner cards thinking the splitter may be bad. This is where I got confused. When I plugged it into one card, I get nothing at all. When I plug it into the other card, both Tuner applications 1 and 2 get signal at the same levels as with the splitter. What is going on here? Do I have a failing Tuner Card?

jeremy.mathis

Post by jeremy.mathis » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:59 am

OK, now I'm really confused. I went into WMC and set up four different records. When I started the third record, the Tuner 2 application suddenly went to full 30db snr. Was that card not "on" and thus not terminating correctly? Not sure how all this works... If it was off, how to I get it to turn on automatically?

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 pm

I know you may never see this reply, but perhaps someone else will. I had a very similar issue in the past. It was even more confusing than yours because the signal would drop out on only one of my four tuners (I had a HVR-2250 and a Avermedia Duet). Turned out to be a coax cable that had somehow gone bad. I don't know if it got bent, or what, but I know that after I replaced it I had no problems. I would start by replacing the cable and the splitter. If that doesn't help, try direct connecting to each tuner card and report back the results.