Reliability? - Ceton InfiniTV vs HDHomeRun Prime

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
highfigh

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by highfigh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 am

I would say that your #1 issue with either of these tuners will be your cable company and your windows installation. I have been through 3 different cable company's since i've had my ceton tuner. And looking back now (since things are running perfectly with the same card) i would say that most issues stem from the monkey pushing buttons at your local cc. If you are lucky enough to find someone who knows how to properly issue the commands to get your tuner linked and synced, you will have only one thing to question, that being your windows installation. If you are good at doing a nice, clean install of only the necessary drivers/codecs you need to get things working as they should, and able to step away from the machine once things are running as they smoothly, you will probably have no issues.

Another thing is to have a good understanding of what hardware you need to run what you plan on using. One of the biggest obstacles for me was a gigabyte motherboard that just had all kinds of issues with sleep that really screws up a set it and forget it htpc. Do your homework, and be prepared to tweak things here and there and you can even make the least tech savy wife happy. :)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 am

highfigh wrote:Another thing is to have a good understanding of what hardware you need to run what you plan on using. One of the biggest obstacles for me was a gigabyte motherboard that just had all kinds of issues with sleep that really screws up a set it and forget it htpc. Do your homework, and be prepared to tweak things here and there and you can even make the least tech savy wife happy. :)
Or, for full WAF, get a Ceton Q when it comes out.

It's nice to have choices.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm

+1 for SD HDHR Prime. Installation for Verizon was 10 minutes. I did it myself without a phone call. It has been running smooth ever since (knock on wood). The only issue I see is 10% of times, I get "Network Issue" when I change channels in WMC. The fix is to go to next channel and come back.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm

highfigh wrote:I would say that your #1 issue with either of these tuners will be your cable company and your windows installation. I have been through 3 different cable company's since i've had my ceton tuner. And looking back now (since things are running perfectly with the same card) i would say that most issues stem from the monkey pushing buttons at your local cc. If you are lucky enough to find someone who knows how to properly issue the commands to get your tuner linked and synced, you will have only one thing to question, that being your windows installation.:)
I would say that for Verizon FIOS its even better. You are the monkey pushing buttons. Go for self activation and you can get it working in minutes. The only catch is that if you press wrong button then you will have to deal with monkey over phone, because the self install code works one time only. :P

rjairam

Post by rjairam » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I will say this - Ceton is top notch in their support.

I may have had bad luck with reliability though.

My first tuner failed within the warranty period. But Pam was so nice as to arrange a cross exchange for me. Companies that do this get an A+ in my book.

However, less than a year later I think my replacement InfiniTV is now dead and is in fact now out of warranty. Different issue than last time though, no OOB lock.

I filed a ticket, let's see what they say. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong or something silly like powering off/on will fix it. I hope.

Surprisingly I have had few issues with the cable company. They do not pair cards and the cards worked with minimal hassle.

rjairam

Post by rjairam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Problem solved, I had a bit of foil in a connector acting as a capacitor and notching out certain frequencies. D'oh!

I think I need new blades for my stripper.

Ceton of course diagnosed this correctly... :clap:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 pm

rjairam wrote:I think I need new blades for my stripper.
I think I saw that Fitty Cent movie.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't know if I would want to give a blade to a stripper. Most of those chicks have "issues".

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 am

Sounds kinky....although, I hope you know owning your own stripper was outlawed in 1865.

rjairam

Post by rjairam » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 am

richard1980 wrote:
Sounds kinky....although, I hope you know owning your own stripper was outlawed in 1865.
Yeah, mine was made in China too, looks like I'm in double trouble. :lol: