Dual AVer Hybrid Volars - only one working at a time

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
JoeyH

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dual AVer Hybrid Volars - only one working at a time

Post by JoeyH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 am

Hi all!

I've recently started setting up a Windows 7 WMC DVR for my house. I have two AVerTV Hybrid Volar Max USB tuners connected to a USB hub, which runs to the DVR, and just a basic coax splitter feeding the cable feed to both of them.

As far as I can tell, all of the channels I'm receiving from Comcast are digital, but only one channel and it's sub-channels (10, 10.1, 10.2) are HD, while the rest appear standard definition.

Whenever I try recording two shows at once, or recording one show and watching another live, only one tuner will function at a time, unless one of the tuners is tuned to 10/10.1/10.2 - then both will work. However, if I switch to any other channels, I get a blue screen with a low bit rate error.

For example, if I'm recording channel 4, and start flipping channels with the other tuner, then I get:

Ch8 - low bit rate
Ch9 - low bit rate
Ch10 - works fine
Ch 10.1 - works fine
Ch 11 - low bit rate

I am in a part of the US where Comcast does not encrypt channels, so a CableCard is not necessary in this setup. Regardless, I did try purchasing a used DCR-2650, but WMC does not seem to want to detect any channels with it at all, regardless of if I have a CableCard inserted or not.

Thanks,
Joey

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Try installing KB981130. See link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981130
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm

You may also want to install KB2708283:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708283

JoeyH

Post by JoeyH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 am

Thank you for your replies. I installed the second one without issue. The first one said it was not applicable to my version of Windows, but I also think I've already installed that patch as well while Googling for a solution to this issue prior.

Even with the updates installed, it's still not functioning. I went to the program guide, clicked a random program, and hit record. Tuner #1 lit up, and started recording without issue. Then I tried opening another channel, but Tuner #2 did not light up, and after a minute, I got the low bit rate error.

After that, as a second test, I tried something different. I opened a random channel, and Tuner #2 was active this time, showing the channel without issue. I pressed the record button, waited a minute, and then switched channels. However, Tuner #2 continued to be the only one with a status light. I exited, went to my "Recorded TV" screen, and found that the show I was initially trying to record was listed, but did not actually play when I tried opening it.

Jim5055

Post by Jim5055 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:06 am

I am trying to debug USB tuners as well. Basically USB timers suck big time is my conclusion. I will try the KBs mentioned above. But some things I do know not to do that may assist you. This may be out of context so forgive me if it is.
In theory USB2 has the bandwidth to deal with multiple tuners. In practice I find that is rubbish or rather windows cannot handle it.
Try using separate USB ports on the computer that are not in the same computer hub structure.
Make sure that the tuners are not drawing too much power. Sure you can use a powered hub but that just creates more problems. A powered hub will not power down the tuners when the computer is powered off or reset or rather the tuners are not reset. This means that the tuner can get confused and will not be reset when huge computer resets. Best to use a tuner within the USB port power capability and have it powered off with the computer power off or reset. Ie no powered hubs.
Keep the USB leads short. Use good thick USB leads.
Anyway. I continue debugging.

Jim5055

Post by Jim5055 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 am

Update to my post.
One blown power supply running a USB Hub. The dangers of running powered hub. One blown avermedia USB TV tuner. Down to two tuners now pending replacement.