WinTV HVR-1600 won't set up in WMC

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
smalltownguy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

WinTV HVR-1600 won't set up in WMC

Post by smalltownguy2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:59 am

I purchased a PCI version of the HVR-1600 recently, and I'm trying to set it up on my Win7 64bit machine. Win7 auto-detected the tuner and installed drivers right away, but WMC doesn't see it when it looks for tuners. Tried setting the tuner up manually, but no dice.

Tried rolling back to an older driver, no dice.

What can I try?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 am

I don't have this tuner, but I was curious to see how it works so I did some reading over at the Haupage site.

Looks like there is a couple things you could try. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_mce.html
Attachments
Haupage001.jpg

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 am

Is it not detecting the tuner or not detecting the channels?

Used to have a couple of these and an HVR-2250.. The HVR-1600

This model has different antenna connections for ATSC/Analog and QAM. Note that not all releases of the HVR-1600 can do QAM for sure the models with the codes 74021 and 74041 (found on the tuner label) can do QAM; other releases may or may not be able to do QAM.

The tuners had to be scanned manually in each mode (NTSC/ATSC/QAM) to detect the tuner and channels for the tuner. The tuner was only able to use one mode at a time... ie: if scanning NTSC, it would not detect ATSC channels. If scanning QAM it would not detect ATSC channels. Not sure if it was the card or the driver that was the issue at the time... This is why at the time I upgraded to the HVR-2250 which did not have that limitation...
Time is on my side.

smalltownguy2

Post by smalltownguy2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

I'm trying to use it for ATSC over the air programming only. It sees the tuner in WMC, but when it goes to detect the type of tuner, it finds nothing. Then when I try to set it up manually, it'll allow me to set up a manual ATSC tuner, but it warns me that there's another tuner present that I am ignoring. I just don't get it.

I read some info about a RAM limitation on PCI cards, but I even tried moving the PC down to 2 gigs of ram, and no dice.

I'm going to try using a PCIe version of the card instead.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:19 pm

smalltownguy2 wrote:I'm trying to use it for ATSC over the air programming only. It sees the tuner in WMC, but when it goes to detect the type of tuner, it finds nothing. Then when I try to set it up manually, it'll allow me to set up a manual ATSC tuner, but it warns me that there's another tuner present that I am ignoring."
Um... not to state the obvious... but have you tried switching the inputs? The ATSC input should be the one in the middle, right between the NTSC and the the S-Video... When selecting manually it is normal for it to tell you that there is an additional unconfigured tuner; that unconfigured tuner is the NTSC/Analog tuner.
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Different revisions of the Hauppauge tuner cards have different inputs and may be in different positions too. Look at the metal bracket near the connector to determine which input to use.

smalltownguy2

Post by smalltownguy2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:57 am

I tried them all, and I moved the card to a computer that has a fully functional 2250 in it, too.

I installed WinTV just to see if the card would work outside of WMC, but no dice.

I'm fairly certain I got a DOA card - the seller agreed to send me a PCIe tuner card instead. I'll report back with my results.