Tuners suddenly stopped

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
adelaide

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners suddenly stopped

Post by adelaide » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have W7MC with xbox 360's as extenders and hauppauge dual digital tuners (an internal card). The system has been working well for two years and all of a sudden the tuners stopped recording. It looked like MC was recording but below the guide it said "this show WILL record" instead of "this show IS recording". None of my shows would record no matter what I did.

So, I tried to fix it and re-installed my tuner card. Now MC picks up the card but when the channels are scanned, no channel is found. I'm using the same setup as I always have and it used to work fine.

What I have tried:

Computer:
Using system restore I reverted back to the last known date that everything worked ok - same issue.
Re-installed the TV Tuner card with updated drivers - same issue
Re-installed W7 (Complete reinstall)- Same issue, no TV channels found

Tuner card:
Tried another tuner card (which also previously worked) - Same issue.
Used a different program to check the card worked - Card is ok
Used the card in my old vista machine - Works with Visa Media Center just like it should

I have no idea what is going on here.

Help???

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm

First, I assume you're in the USA. If not, tell us where you are located.

Are your tuners connected to an antenna, or to cable TV? If cable, who is your cable provider? Most cable providers are eliminating unencrypted digital cable channels, requiring you to use a CableCARD tuner to decrypt the channels.

pd veeps

Post by pd veeps » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm

What kind of tuner are you using? Does the tuner have it's own configuration software that let's you check signal strength etc. I ask because my hdhomerun has it's software which I can tune to channels outside of wmc. It might help you troubleshoot.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 am

One hit wonder.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Within the last few months our cable signal changed as part of a full digital transition.
After a specific time, a Clear QAM tuner in Windows Media Center would no longer automatically detect and receive most channels.
By looking at a television tuners scan results, and manually entering those in Media Center(QAM 256), I was able to continue to use those tuners for a while.
At some point though, our cable provider will "flip the switch", and you won't be able to receive anything without a CableCard or cable box, one or the other.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Note that the OP hasn't been back to this site after posting a question a week ago.