Not a Charter customer and want to get a CableCard

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
calcuttaman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Not a Charter customer and want to get a CableCard

Post by calcuttaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 am

I thought it would be nice to get my daughter a Hauppauge 2650 and have her sign up for a $2 CableCard, but I'm a bit confused by this. She is not currently a Charter customer. What channels would she be getting? Could I even do this?

http://www.charter.com/browse/content/c ... ?zip=49866

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:54 am

Think of cableCARD + Hauppauge as just a cable box, as if it came from the cable company.

Therefore, she could get any of the channel packages she chooses to pay for--just like she could do if she rented a cable box from them.

calcuttaman

Post by calcuttaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:49 pm

So if I understand this correctly. If I just signed up for basic + expanded cable with charter I would get channels 1-125. This cost $39.99 for the first 12 months and then $59.99 after that. If I did this it probably wouldn't make any sense to get any device that took a cable card as I could just get those channels on my computer if I had a tuner installed such as an Hauppauge 2250.

So to make a cable card device make any sense I would have to sign up for a package from charter that included a set top digital box so I could get those digital channels (1-999?) on my computer with a cable card device such as the Ceton infiniTV Tuner?

So if I had a digital box for my tv why would I need to stream from my computer back to my tv?

It seems I must be missing something here. The only other advantage I'm seeing is if I signed up for the digital box for my TV and then got a InfiniTV Tuner & cablecard I could then watch & record those digital channels on my computer.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 pm

calcuttaman wrote:So if I understand this correctly. If I just signed up for basic + expanded cable with charter I would get channels 1-125. This cost $39.99 for the first 12 months and then $59.99 after that. If I did this it probably wouldn't make any sense to get any device that took a cable card as I could just get those channels on my computer if I had a tuner installed such as an Hauppauge 2250.
The ability to receive channels depends on whether those channels are encrypted. If they are 'clearQAM' (ie, not encrypted), then you would not need a cablecard, and could just get a clearqam tuner like the 2250. However, almost all the cable companies are trending towards encrypting all their channels- even the local ones. I'm not specifically familiar with Charter, but I'd imagine using a clearQAMtuner will not get you all 125 channels, and if it does, then the majority of those would not be HD (only the ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/CW would get HD).
calcuttaman wrote: So to make a cable card device make any sense I would have to sign up for a package from charter that included a set top digital box so I could get those digital channels (1-999?) on my computer with a cable card device such as the Ceton infiniTV Tuner?

So if I had a digital box for my tv why would I need to stream from my computer back to my tv?

It seems I must be missing something here. The only other advantage I'm seeing is if I signed up for the digital box for my TV and then got a InfiniTV Tuner & cablecard I could then watch & record those digital channels on my computer.
Yes, you are correct that you are paying the same price for the package of channels.

But there are a few things you gain from using a computer tuner+cable card, rather than a normal set top box.
1) The 'free' set top box you get from your Cable Company receives only non-HD channels. If you want an HD box, you will start paying $10+ a month per box.
2) The free set top box does not function as a DVR. If you want DVR, then start paying $15+ a month per box.
3) The cable card is $0 in many places, and a few bucks in most other places.
4) The media center ecosystem allows you to watch your recorded shows on other TVs, without paying a monthly fee for an additional DVR or device.
5) Many of the cable company DVRs record only 2 shows at once. Infinitv records 4 to 6. HDHRP records 3.
6) The interface for most cable co STBs is terrible. Compare this: http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress ... vguide.jpg
to this: https://459e2d75-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... edirects=0

There are also a few downsides to a computer DVR:
1) Requires more maintenance
2) Cable guy only occasionally knows what he's doing
3) No access to on-demand content
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

calcuttaman

Post by calcuttaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the great informative reply makryger. I had "Almost come to those same conclusions" but really wanted someone to confirm them, thanks.
makryger wrote:The ability to receive channels depends on whether those channels are encrypted. If they are 'clearQAM' (ie, not encrypted), then you would not need a cablecard, and could just get a clearqam tuner like the 2250. However, almost all the cable companies are trending towards encrypting all their channels- even the local ones. I'm not specifically familiar with Charter, but I'd imagine using a clearQAMtuner will not get you all 125 channels, and if it does, then the majority of those would not be HD (only the ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/CW would get HD).
I do have a Hauppauge 2250 and I get quite a few clearQAM stations already, http://calcuttaman.com/public_images/20 ... 112500.png. And I don't really get 1-125, but do get some public service stations in the 90's.
makryger wrote:Yes, you are correct that you are paying the same price for the package of channels.
2) The free set top box does not function as a DVR. If you want DVR, then start paying $15+ a month per box.
In my case I would have to pay $10 more for a Charter DVR. Not worth it to me with my 2250.

Again, thanks for the answers. For me its just not going to be worth it to get a 2650. I've got a STB with hi-def from Charter but I rarely record shows other then the big 4 and I'm getting those in HD now.