Which one of my HTPC tuners is malfunctioning? Or are both?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Which one of my HTPC tuners is malfunctioning? Or are both?

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Hello I have two Hauppauge TV tuners WinTV-HVR-950Q & WinTV-HVR-1600

using free TV antenna.I don't think it's a weak reception problem w/ the antenna because the station that usalley creates this error messages works fine w/ the TVs builtin tuner and I'm able to record this same channel fine w/ my DVR.

occasionalley get this error message from windows7 media center
Portions of the show was’nt recorded Hauppauge winTV885 tuner/demod

So which one of my HTPC tuners is malfunctioning? Or are both?

edit: sometime like when it rains real hard I will get a error message (w/in recorded TV history) a partial recording this used to mean that portions of the show where'nt recorded due to weak or lose of signal

I have recently upgraded a OEM power supply to a brand name PSU since the upgrade I rarely see this partial message however some shows don't get recorded fully as associated w/ the recorded TV history saying recorded they are partially recorded but w/ fewer hickups
Thanks STB

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm

You should be able to see which tuner (usually its MAC address or some other hexadecimal identifier) was used for the failed recording.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm getting this message from W7MC Portions of the show was’nt recorded Hauppauge winTV885 tuner/demod.

Can you explain to me the step by step procedure for finding the MAC address or some other hexadecimal identifier?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I haven't had this issue for a very loooooong time, but I believe that information is in the log. Or if you look at the partially recorded show, it should list which tuner was used for the recording.

DanH

Post by DanH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Go to Recorded TV
Scroll up and select "View Scheduled"
On the left hand side, select "History"
Find the recording that failed and click on it.

At the bottom of the information is the Channel & Tuner information.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:26 am

OK I'll look again in history for a more complete error message and report back.

Hopefully the history on a deleted recording will still reveal the message, I tend to delete a partial recording right away because on ocasion a partial recoeding will crash the PC then I have the dreaded blue screen of death wierd thing is the BSOD doe'snt reveal a hex code on the top
which would normally reval the cause of the crash.

edit:
The response from Haupgaue was either one of my tuners WinTV-HVR-950Q & WinTV-HVR-1600 did'nt create the this error message from windows7 media center
Portions of the show was’nt recorded Hauppauge winTV885 tuner/demod because the 885 was'nt used on either of these tuners.
still waiting for more feedback from there tech. surport.
Thanks Guy's for advice