What good features are there in a satellite tuner?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
a cooperator

HTPC Specs: Show details

What good features are there in a satellite tuner?

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello everyone!

I know that a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) 'with HD Technology' would be compatible with my country. However, I am really quite hesitative about purchasing this device or not, in particular because I don't know what good features there are in this device other than the recording, not available in using normal receiver device plugged directly to a TV.

Another reason is that the cost of a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) 'with HD Technology' would be about US 72 dollars.

I know a satellite tuner is connected to a PC from one part and to the Satllite from the other part. However, normal receiver device is connected to TV and the other part to satellite.
Is there a feature of downloading programs or anything else without using Internet when using this device. Or only watching TV on my PC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

The whole purpose of connecting a tuner to your computer is the ability to record. It will also allow you to pause and rewind live TV.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The whole purpose of connecting a tuner to your computer is the ability to record. It will also allow you to pause and rewind live TV.
Thank you very much indeed,

What made me asked this question is that I really noticed the new technologies make the old technologies are not desirable and usable. ;)
For instance, I had purchased a desktop computer whose pieces are gathered from different companies (Pentium 3 with a processor(intel) of 1GHZ, a RAM of 256 Mb, HD of 80Gb and monitor 17- View Sonic) ten years ago with amount of about US 697 dollars, when I have now wanted to sell it, I got that it will be purchased with about US 46 dollars.

As a result, I hate purchasing a device not be used very much throughout my life.

Besides, I really heard that some users can use the tv tuner card to download a programs and games and some things else via the satellite(dish) without using an internet access.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:23 pm

A satellite TV tuner will not allow you to download anything. It allows you to watch and/or record the audio and video programs that are broadcast by the satellite to which your dish is directed.

I think you are confusing the satellite TV tuner with satellite Internet service. Satellite Internet service delivers the down-stream data via satellite. The satellite Internet receiver is not capable of transmitting data, so the up-stream data is returned to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) via a normal telephone line. I do not think there are any integrated satellite TV/Internet receivers that you can install in a computer. Satellite TV tuners for computers only receive the TV programs, not data (except for subtitles and program schedules).

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Some satellite pci/pci-e cards can be used for internet access. Download only. But you will still need a provider...
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 pm

https://www.technisat.com/en_XX/SkyStar ... 2675-1840/

i used to have this one for example...
Lee

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 pm

milli260876 wrote:Some satellite pci/pci-e cards can be used for internet access. Download only. But you will still need a provider...
I stand corrected. Good information.