Can a laptop's external video port be used for watching TV?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
a cooperator

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can a laptop's external video port be used for watching TV?

Post by a cooperator » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 am

Hi everyone,
Can I specify an external screen plugged to my Laptop to watch TV via WMC TV Tuners?

I really have TV Tuners(a satellite tuner (DVB-S2)), which is compatible with my country Yemen, plugged to my laptop and an external screen also plugged to my Laptop, so I would like to specify my Laptop screen to my work done such as browsing the internet and so on. And the other external screen to watch via TV Tuners.

In other words, I would like TV to be watched via the external screen and my laptop's screen to my work.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes, but if you try to run Media Center in full-screen mode on the 2nd display, you won't be able to use your mouse on the laptop's built-in display.

What you can do is size the Media Center window by dragging the edges of the window so that it fills the entire screen. This will allow you to use the mouse on both screens. Just don't click the Maximize button on the Media Center window.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm

It will only work if your laptop supports dual monitor. Some laptops do, some don't. One that don't will only display on the built in monitor or external, not both at the same time.

You have the laptop, you know the specs on it.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you so much,

I really don't know whether my laptop supports dual monitor or not, although I know my laptop have a single VGA port and a single HDMI port. Could you please let me know where I can check this point?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Look on the laptop manufacturer's website for the specifications of your model. You can find the model number of the laptop printed on the laptop, usually on the bottom. Or, you can try plugging an HDMI cable into your laptop, and connect the other end of the cable to your TV. Turn on the TV, and select the correct HDMI input.

Then, try to extend the desktop. To do this, right-click on the desktop somewhere empty, choose "Screen resolution". Then, on the Screen resolution window, click "Connect to a projector" (at the bottom of the window). Then, choose to extend the display.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks a lot,
I really have been told by some user at HP forum that It Will support 2 external displays connected with VGA and HDMI.

HDMI cable can only be used to connect an external to laptop' HDMI port, or also can be used to connect a project and other devices.

VGA cable can only be used to connect an external to a laptop's VGA port or also can be used to connect a project and other devices.

If yes, which is better to use 'VGA' or 'HDMI' cable?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 pm

If you have a TV with an HDMI input, use HDMI.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:10 pm

HDMI is the best bet for your TV because it also carries the sound, so you won't have to run extra cables for it.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks a lot,

I really didn't find 'HDMI' cable in my country(Yemen) so far.
Could you enlighten me whether both 'VGA' or 'HDMI' can be used to connect a projector, external screen to my laptop or not?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

The first question you need to answer is whether or not your TV (or computer monitor) has an HDMI or VGA input. If you're using a TV, it probably won't have a VGA input. If you're using a computer monitor, it may or may not have HDMI.

If the TV/monitor has both inputs, and your laptop also has both types of outputs, then you can use either type of cable. But, HDMI is better if you are able to use it.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The first question you need to answer is whether or not your TV (or computer monitor) has an HDMI or VGA input. If you're using a TV, it probably won't have a VGA input. If you're using a computer monitor, it may or may not have HDMI.

If the TV/monitor has both inputs, and your laptop also has both types of outputs, then you can use either type of cable. But, HDMI is better if you are able to use it.

Thank you very much

Yes, my laptop has an HDMI and VGA input.

However, I am expecting that a TV is meant by any external monitor which can be used to watch a TV. I am right or not?
I don't think there is a TV can be connected to a PC or laptop via HDMI or VGA input, other than external monitor which can be used as a TV. Thus, any external monitor can be used to watch a TV is meant to me as TV.
Last edited by a cooperator on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 pm

I believe that all TV's that have been manufactured since 2007-2008 have an HDMI input. That is true for TV's sold in the USA. I assume it is true everywhere.

A computer monitor can be used with Windows Media Center, but it is not the same thing as a TV.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:23 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I believe that all TV's that have been manufactured since 2007-2008 have an HDMI input. That is true for TV's sold in the USA. I assume it is true everywhere.

A computer monitor can be used with Windows Media Center, but it is not the same thing as a TV.
You mean if a TV have HDMI input, then it can be used to watch TV without using Windows Media Center. In other words, if I have satellite card(a tv tuner ) connected to my Laptop, and a TV connected to my Laptop. Then I can watch TV without using Windows Media Center.
In contrast to TV, A computer monitor can only be used to watch TV with using Windows Media Center.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

If a TV has an HDMI input, then it can be connected to the computer. A TV includes things that a computer monitor does not have, for example a TV has a built-in tuner, a built-in audio amplifier with volume control, and speakers. A TV can be used to watch TV even if it is not connected to a computer at all. A TV can be used to watch TV even if it does not have an HDMI input.

A computer monitor is simply a display device. Some computer monitors have speakers built-in, but they do not have volume control (the volume is controlled by the computer) nor does a computer monitor have a built-in tuner.

None of this is really important for you. You want to use Windows Media Center. So, you need a display device (either a TV or a computer monitor) that has either a VGA or HDMI input (because your laptop has both types of output).

I recommend using HDMI if possible. If you cannot locate an HDMI cable, then use VGA. It is difficult for me to understand that you cannot find an HDMI cable. Even if there is not a local source for an HDMI cable in Yemen, can't you buy one online?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:53 pm

LuckyDay wrote:HDMI is the best bet for your TV because it also carries the sound, so you won't have to run extra cables for it.

VGA cables with sound also exist. Have been using them since before HDMI was widespread

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:46 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:HDMI is the best bet for your TV because it also carries the sound, so you won't have to run extra cables for it.

VGA cables with sound also exist. Have been using them since before HDMI was widespread

That is true, but it still doesn't change what I've written earlier. HDMI is the OP's best choice if his TV/monitor has an HDMI input.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 pm

blueiedgod wrote:

It's more of VGA + separate connector for sound in one cable, instead of all in one HDMI though

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Yeah there is no such thing as a VGA cable that actually carries sound through the same cable. I've seen them attached before but it's still a separate 3.5mm audio cable.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Can we not take this too off topic? It is apparent that the OP's first language is not English. We don't want to confuse him.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Thank you all of you so much indeed,
It is really now quite obvious.
But I have three more questions, which are as the following::

First: I have read on the TV tuner's cover 'HD' feature.

Thus, my question is what do the HD features of TV tuners do as long as a TV or a computer monitor will originally be connected to a HDMI port? In other words, TV tuners have the HD feature and a TV or a computer monitor on which satellite broadcast will be broadcasted will be connected to HDMI, so they also have HD feature.
if a TV or a computer monitor are connected to HDMI, and I have purchased TV tuners not having the HD feature, there will be difference between in contrast to TV tuners have the HD feature?

Second: I really know a TV tuner(a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) will compatible with my country Yemen. I would ask whether there are other TV tuners would also be compatible with my country.

Finally: I really found a TV tuner(DVB-S2) with an amount of US 72 dollars, thus this is OK.