Need FM tuner info

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
CWatkinsNash

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need FM tuner info

Post by CWatkinsNash » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm

So I'm adding another HDHR Dual and a dist amp to my setup later today (hurry up and get here, UPS!) and it occurred to me that I'm only missing one thing from my setup - Radio. But it seems that FM tuners are so out of fashion that even tv tuners that support it don't mention it. I've seen that some people are using the HVR-2250 for FM, but they don't even mention that capability on the product page at the Hauppage site. I noticed this elsewhere, too - on newegg I looked at another that I know supports it, but no mention of FM. The only one on newegg that specified FM at all was a USB combo multisource / analog capture dongle.

I certainly don't need a hybrid, my TV needs are taken care of, so I just wanted to grab a cheap analog card or USB device that will work for FM, but I don't know what to get. I'm starting to think I'm the only person left who wants this. I'm running Win 7 x64, so it would need to have Win 7-compatible drivers; other than that, my only requirement is that it pull in FM. I totally missed the boat on anything analog when it comes to tuners, I didn't get started until broadcast went digital, so there's a bit of a gap in my knowledge.

If any of you are using, have used, or can help me find what I'm seeking, I'd love more info.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Whatever tuner you choose, it has to be supported in Media Center, not just Windows 7.

If you click the link at the bottom of my post and look at my specs, both the ASUS tuner and the Hauppauge tuner in my setup have FM tuners in them. I have them connected to an outdoor antenna. They get great reception, but I've got to be honest with you... the FM Radio experience in Media Center is sub-par. It's a very clunky interface for FM radio. Each station has to be added manually... it won't scan and add stations for you. Then, after adding your stations, it's still a clunky interface.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah I use the ones in my 2250's; it's part of the reason I chose them. I listen to a lot of music, so the more sources the better :) I just wish you could record radio like in Vista.

I wish the radio plug in would remain in list view/remember your view states. That's my biggest problem with radio in WMC.

CWatkinsNash

Post by CWatkinsNash » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks, both of you. I'm going to hit ebay. I see a few of the Asus FM1236 on there, as well as a few used 2250s at decent prices. The 2250 looks like a great tuner, I just can't justify paying the price for a new one just to get radio. Not right now, anyway.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 pm

I am using the old ATI 650 tuners.
They have FM and can usually be picked up cheap.
I run 1 on windows 7 and 1 on windows 8.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:38 pm

I have used Magyca hybrid USB dongle type tuner and FM works. I believe with multiple FM tuners, you can listen to different content on different extenders.

You can get MAgyca tuners from meritline for under $20 shipped when they have a deal. Sign up for their e-mail alerts. They have those tuners on sale pretty often.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Related (sorta but not really)...is there any way to get HD Radio inside of Media Center? I've got my FM tuner working but does anyone manufacturer an HD Radio tuner card that would get HD Radio into WMC7?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:51 pm

blueiedgod wrote:I believe with multiple FM tuners, you can listen to different content on different extenders.
Correct. I've tried it, and it works.

CWatkinsNash

Post by CWatkinsNash » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 pm

blueiedgod wrote:I have used Magyca hybrid USB dongle type tuner and FM works. I believe with multiple FM tuners, you can listen to different content on different extenders.

You can get MAgyca tuners from meritline for under $20 shipped when they have a deal. Sign up for their e-mail alerts. They have those tuners on sale pretty often.
Thanks for the info. I buy from Meritline so I'll definitely be taking a look over there. I've gotten some crazy deals from them in the past.

(Hope I don't double-post - the quick reply kept timing out.)

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 pm

EZEd wrote:Related (sorta but not really)...is there any way to get HD Radio inside of Media Center? I've got my FM tuner working but does anyone manufacturer an HD Radio tuner card that would get HD Radio into WMC7?
I was wondering the same thing? I have a HD Tuner that has a USB interface but not sure how to make it work with WMC.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 pm

kd6icz wrote:I was wondering the same thing? I have a HD Tuner that has a USB interface but not sure how to make it work with WMC.
What happens when you plug it in to Win7 (I'm assuming you're using Win7)? Does Win7 even recognize it? If so, what brand? I might would like to try that. I've just even been looking for a standalone HD tuner that can connect to a computer and haven't found one. Please share.

Thx

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:10 pm

The cable is simply a RS232 to USB converter. The only software I know of that controls the unit ( Directed Electronics DMHD1000I) is the three car PC GUI's that different individuals have written over at MP3car.com. As for Windows 7 native I know of none.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

kd6icz wrote:The cable is simply a RS232 to USB converter. The only software I know of that controls the unit ( Directed Electronics DMHD1000I) is the three car PC GUI's that different individuals have written over at MP3car.com. As for Windows 7 native I know of none.
Okay so this is an HD tuner for automotive radio? I was thinking it might have been a standalone unit made for home use. Yeah I don't know if automotive will interact with home audio or desktop computer tech. Definitely would need to be some special drivers involved and since the manufacturer didn't count on use with a PC I'm betting no commercial driver exists.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Yes it's a 12 volt automotive tuner. The cable plugs into the port where the control head plugs in. As far as a "driver" there is a driver for the RS232 to USB chip in the cable. That's really the only driver you need. That establishes a communication with the tuner. Audio will be delivered via the analog output to the AUX input to your HTPC or WMC server. At this point you just need a little software that uses a serial communication interface to operate the tuner which three different guys have successfully over at MP3Car.com. I guess my point is it appears to be very doable if you have software building knowledge.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:55 pm

kd6icz wrote:Yes it's a 12 volt automotive tuner. The cable plugs into the port where the control head plugs in. As far as a "driver" there is a driver for the RS232 to USB chip in the cable. That's really the only driver you need. That establishes a communication with the tuner. Audio will be delivered via the analog output to the AUX input to your HTPC or WMC server. At this point you just need a little software that uses a serial communication interface to operate the tuner which three different guys have successfully over at MP3Car.com. I guess my point is it appears to be very doable if you have software building knowledge.
Yeah I was thinking more like the RS232-to-USB direct to the computer and the computer recognizes the tuner as a USB device. At that point you would need a Windows driver to communicate the tuners hardware into something Windows can recognize as a tuner. Then that ported to WMC7 and set up as a tuner inside the app. Don't even know that WMC7 is built to recognize or handle HD Radio tuners.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

FYI...just found these on the web

http://audion-mm.com/products.html?page ... ory_id=113

Check out the models AVL680DAB, AVL683M and AVL685. No mention of Windows Media Center compatibility though. So likely not to work there but maybe worth a look.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Those would be super cool if they supported the american HD Radio standard instead of the European DAB standard.