Can I add ATSC tuner without losing CableCARD guide config?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
DrHow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I add ATSC tuner without losing CableCARD guide config?

Post by DrHow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm

I have an HDHomeRun Prime cableCARD tuner working with WMC. I want to add two PCI tuners, one for ATSC and the other for clear QAM. I fear that when I tell WMC to configure tuners I will lose the current Guide channel lineup configuration for all the cableCARD channels. This would be a great inconvenience because it has been a major hassle to get that configured the way I want it. There are literally hundreds of channels on my cable (TW, Austin) that I do not get (e.g., on-demand or not subscribed) or which I would never watch (e.g., SD versions for which HD exists, foreign language, not interested). That configuration has evolved slowly over the past couple years, and I really don't want to go through creating it again if that can be avoided.

Nevertheless, with football season approaching, I definitely want to install the two additional tuners for unencrypted local channels. So, if there is a way to do this without losing my present Guide configuration for the cableCARD tuner, would someone please clue me in about how to proceed or assure me that my fears are unjustified?

(A little more about my situation: I had a Hauppauge 1250 working on clear QAM channels along with the HD Prime for over a year. It broke. I found a used one, just like my old one, on eBay for a good price and bought it. I assumed that, if I just swapped out the cards, WMC would never notice the difference. Alas, Windows 7 realized that the hardware had changed and insisted that I reinstall the Hauppauge drivers. I did. The new card works correctly. However, WMC no longer knows about the device. In the meantime, I have discovered that the old card still works for ATSC, and I can provide it a good OTA signal. So now I want to try installing both 1250s, one configured for ATSC and the other for clear QAM, and make them work in WMC along with the cableCARD tuner. If anyone knows that the Hauppauge drivers won't support that, please clue me in before I waste time trying to make it work.)
Last edited by DrHow on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by staknhalo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Add a tuner, you have to re-setup all tuners.