Hauppauge 2250 Issue

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Jay863

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge 2250 Issue

Post by Jay863 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 am

Hey everyone,

I just recently built a HTPC with a Hauppauge 2250 TV tuner about a week ago. The setup with WMC was pretty painless and I am very please with the amount of channels I get. I have my coax cable running right into my tuner I am not using a STB or anything like that. I noticed recently that about six channels that worked maybe two or three days ago no longer work. Whenever I try to change the channel to them I get a message that says something along the lines that no signal is available and the channel may be offline. I understand that this may have nothing to do with my setup and it may very well have to do with the cable company, but that many channels so soon after getting it set up? They are all QAM channels and all are HD except one. The rest of the channels HD and non HD work great no distorted picture or audio.

So far I have completely uninstalled all my 2250 drivers and reinstalled with no luck. I also went in and manually added the channels to see if that made a difference because I noticed the channels where set to QAM 64 and not QAM 256 so I thought maybe if I changed it to 256 that would help because that is what I always put when I added channels before. It didn't. So I then thought that maybe it was a weak signal so I used the signal monitoring software from the Hauppauge website and the signals for each of my tuners is green with no errors. Though tuner number 2 sometimes has a weak or no signal. I am not sure what that is about. I don't know what else to try. Is it safe to say that this probably has to do something with the cable company? The good thing is that they aren't really channels I watch so disabling them wouldn't be a big deal, but I am still curious as to why they no longer work.

I am still very new when it comes to tv tuners, QAM, and all that so I figured I would ask in hopes that the more experienced users would be able to help. Thanks!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am

Install WinTV, set it up and scan for channels. See if you then can view the missing channels. If so, you can view the actual physical number (not virtual) with WinTV - that is the channel you setup/add in WMC.

And yes, the cable company could have changed the channels so soon after you set it up. They could change them every day if they so pleased.

Another thing is, if they were HD, your cable company could have started encrypting them - in which case you'd either have to do without those channels or get a Cable Card tuner.

Jay863

Post by Jay863 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:24 am

I think it is just the cable company because when I installed WinTV and scanned for for channels I still couldn't view those channels. I Just get a black screen. I don't know what else it could be other than the cable company encrypting the channels.

Thanks for the help though. Like I said not a big issue I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong.